Analyzing the Coma "Dream"

Post your thoughts on the dream sequence here:

What I took from the whole dream sequence was what his life would be like if he wasn't Tony Soprano, mob boss...

If you remember back to season 1 I believe, he is talking to Melfi, and she mentions something about "alternatives" and he says he could sell patio furniture on route 17 or something to that effect...

Anyone notice what his occupation was in the dream sequence?

Initially, he said he started as a patio furniture salesman...

Coincidence I think not…

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... elder21</A> at: 3/19/06 9:19 pm

Re: Dream Squence Thread

Thats a good point....more than the actual content of the dream though (and I do agree there are a lot of things within the dream that are not there by accident) is the symbolism of the whole dream he finds himself in.

He has lost his identity, and he can't get home.
Can't get the money that his dream wife wants to wire him, can't get on a plane, thats symbolic of him not being able to wake from the coma.

The alzheimers is symbolic of the brain damage he will have sufferd, which the doctor made refernce to with Carm.

</p>

Good start to this dream sequence discussion Rightfielder. I had a thought similar to yours....Tony Soprano as an ordinary citizen contrasted to Tony Soprano the O.C. Boss was very illuminating. The ordinary (dream) Tony is confronted by adversity, and does not react at all like the ruthless O.C. Tony. He is powerless to solve the bad situations confronting him, he is worried about committing fraud, and he accepts, with impotent resignation the fates that are befalling him.

</p>

Agreed. This dream seems to me what Tony's life would be like if he hadn't chosen the path he did. Godd pickup on the Patio furniture salesman info. I think if/when Tont wakes up from this he may realize he spent all this time thinking about having a normal life, but in the dream the "normal life sucks". The woman won't sleep with him, alzheimers, no money, no power, etc. He may begin to appreciate the things he has hat are important: family.

</p>

I'm actually looking at it as he might be in the future, rather than the past. I'm not suggesting I think Tony will go witness protection (with this scene as foreshadowing), but I do think it shows he is thinking about it. Certainly mixed with The Valachi Papers (from Test Dream) and other such clues, it rings truthful.

Pretty much all of the Finnity moments spoke to different episodes in a life Tony might have as a regular citizen. Compare to Chris's thought at the end of Long Term Parking. I think it is telling.

The character Tony played in those scenes was a normal guy. Yet still had the little irritations. Could he, as normal guy, hack it in those situations? And though not shown, could Carmela?

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>He is powerless to solve the bad situations confronting him, he is worried about committing fraud, and he accepts, with impotent resignation the fates that are befalling him.<hr></blockquote>

I said this in the general comments thread, but it seems appropriate here.

I have read it suggested somewhere that the dream sequence tony is "innocent" tony. I don't think that you can separate between "innocent" and "guilty" tony's. I think that the "black spots" in the brain scan that look like alzheimers are actually the parts of his brain that first, allow Tony to handle the situations you listed above, in other words give him initiative, drive, and the ability to overcome fear. However, they also are the parts that make him somewhat sociopathic and allow him to be the cold-hearted mobster that he is.

You can't have an "innocent" tony unless you also accept an impotent tony.

</p>

looked a bit like he is in control and taking knowingly an outtime from it all.
when the monks arrived in the dream (after he saw the doc, who was looking like the same monk) they told him to loose his arrogance(= wake up), ..but he still is taking the break he was yelling for in vesuv in episode one.

</p>

I'm not sure if he is in limbo, but that's a good argument, although he would actually have to be in purgatory. Limbo is (was) for unbaptized babies. Purgatory would tie into the name of his alternate identity KevIN FINNITY. They even made a poor joke about the name of the car. If he is in purgatory, is he here forever because he lost his identity? Carm says he's not going to hell, but he certainly wouldn't go to heaven.

</p>

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”