Tony Will Never Be the Same

Even if - and the chances aren't very good - Tony Soprano does make it out alive, he will never be the same again. Be it brain damage, physical impairment or psychological condition, the days of Tony Soprano, ruthless leader of a "glorified crew" of miscreants, are over.

I wonder if fans of the show are ready to accept that.

</p>

Re: Tony Will Never Be the Same

I am not only ready to accept it, I am falling all over myself to EMBRACE it. This is what has fueled my passion for this show, more than any other single facet of the storytelling: the war for this man's soul. Yes he was pathetic, and, yes, if he suffers real brain damage, it will have many tragic, sad dimensions. But if it means getting closer to his redemption, I'm ecstatic.

</p>

Fomw-

First off I have been following this forum for about 2 years and though I may be a lurker more than an active poster I want you to know I appreciate the time and energy you put into your observations and thought, it has been a pleasure following you.

I can appreciate where you're coming from in regards to Tony’s s redemption. I have always had a tendency to root for the bad guy since it seems the good guy’s wins (i.e. personality, the women, save the day), ninety nine percent of the time. I still haven’t made up my mind on how I would like the show to end but I do know I want it to end like it started. Maybe there won’t be an traditional ending and all we have seen or will see is just a chapter in someone’s life, and the rest will to be speculated on.

</p>

How do we know that, after 4 or 5 episodes, Chase won't jump ahead a few months in time?

IIRC, season 5 covered nearly an entire year. It started out in the Fall and ended the following Winter, over a year later.
Seeing season 6 progress in the same way wouldn't be a surprise.

I think Tony will recover, but something like this is bound to have psychological effects beyond the physical. This has to be a watershed event for the show.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... ncleRay</A> at: 3/20/06 10:35 pm

Never before have we had a season where there's been so much doubt as to the fate of the characters, and this certainly adds a new dimension to the show. I was watching last night thinking, wow, they really could kill off Tony before the final 8 in January. There are really so many ways that Chase could go with this show, that it's almost impossible to speculate. Ironically, not since season one and two have we had so many unknowns. And that was because the show was new and we were still learning the terrain. Now once again for the final run, anything is possible.

My theory for the week, is one I considered before the premiere, is that Tony may flip, and testify for the Feds. This theory has now grown stronger since it appears as if things will never be the same for Tony and the mob from here on in. IF Tony does survive the gunshot wound, he will at the very least have some sort of physical, emotional, or psychological incapacity (if not a little of all three). Then when you enter in AJ's threat to put a bullet in Jr's head, well, you could see where Tony's son could get into the sort of trouble that would cause T to choose his own family over the mafia once and for all.

Can't wait to watch this all unfold. Is it next Sunday yet? lol

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.02: Join the Club”