Re: Carmela....and Junior

Removing the guns does seem to be a rather large lapse in judgement. However, everyone in the show is pretty self-centered and they idealize many aspects of their life. Especially the unhappy ones. I think they put off the fact that Jr. is really as far gone as he is. To a certain extent a former mob boss now turning senile isn't something many family members would want to admit. So while they are taking care of him, this might have been a gun he managed to hide from the family, or they simply never searched the house, the latter, to me, is more plausible.

</p>

Junior

Garthman, I'll buy that....Bobby's got his trains, Janice has the breastfeeding, Barbara (is that the other sister?) has her own fam....Tony is Tony.

It's also kind of strange that Tony's repressed the fact that Junior was the one who conspired with Livia to whack him. It was kind of sad, that final scene with T, calling out for Junior to help him, like a little kid, and Junior unresponsive.

</p>

Re: Carmela....and Junior

Sofia makes a point that I am not sure anyone has really touched on. What really touched me about that last scene with Tony on the floor, helpless for essentially the first time in the show, was that he called out for his Uncle like a child. I never thought I would find myself so sad or rooting for Tony to survive but it was that helplessness that overcame him that really drove sympathy home with even the biggest Tony-haters.

</p>

Re: Junior

I think the funniest scene was when Ray Curto died .... i watched the episode three times and it cracks me up every time... its so hilarious how he just goes "i can back that up in court.... ahhhh (dies)"...LOL and there goes another major witness for the FBI... IMO even funnier than Gigi dying on the toilet.

By contrast, Genes death was very disturbing and somber. I actually thought twice that he would reach the box with his feet and survive after all.

Its great how this show can have a character die in such a comical way and another in such a tragic way in the same episode.

</p>

possibly?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but has anyone considered the fact that maybe Tony never got a chance to make a final decision on Gene? Tony got pretty preoccupied at the end, and maybe Silvio made the decision on his behalf, for the greater good of the family. Regarding Tony and Silvio, there's been some tension before, notably in "No Show" when Sil went behind Tony's back, and to a certain extent in "All Due Respect". Imagine Tony's reaction when he finds out that Gene's dead when he was planning on letting him retire.

</p>

Re: possibly?

Hmm. That's an interesting theory, HBOAfficionado, but not one I favor.

Very much like when Tony B got out of prison and was set on going straight, I think Tony was secretly very envious of and sympathetic to Gene's desire (and means) to get out. And so I think he felt bad about turning Gene down, especially after accepting his "taste" of the inheritance. More perks of being boss . . . you get to delegate the unpleasant stuff to underlings.

I see No Show as a singular case of Sil doing something that he knew would get back to Tony but that he could deny, just to sort of register his anger over Chris getting bumped so fast. But I think Sil essentially follows protocol and chain of command, so I don't think he freelanced on this one.

</p>

Re Possibly

I tend to agree, Fly. While it is an interesting possibility, I think it is much more interesting that Tony had to make that decision on his own and chose "no". Because of how envious he is, this will compound into larger forms of guilt (which he will, no doubt turn into anger in front of his loved ones) when he finds out (if he finds out) about Eugene's suicide.

</p>

Re: possibly?

Agree - hard to believe that Tony would have ever agreed to let Gene go. As he said, there's no retiring from this.

He may have been stringing Gene along by saying he would think about it but it was pretty obvious that he wasn't going to let him go. He may have felt bad about refusing his request as he may have had similar feelings himself to get out of the life but there would be no way he could honor that request?

What kind of mixed message would it send to the others if Gene were allowed to retire? Others may start questionning what they are doing and may consider following the same route. It would open up a whole can of worms.

I think Tony was sympathetic but there was no way he would ever let Gene retire. It couldn't happen.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.01: Members Only”