Re: Unknown

it was certainly a fantasy thing - maybe ours more than hers, we are allowed that momentary hope that she could escape -- and then we see her in the car with Sil and just KNOW that she is on the road to death ..

brilliant

</p>

Re: Adriana driving alone.

i think this scene was one that will always stick with me, as well as the entire ending of this episode. Chase just did an unbelievable job. We see her in the car driving, "getting out". and all of that is taken away from us swiftly as we see silvio at the wheel. It just pulled us in so many directions in a short amount of time, ending in the gunshot. Another thing that i noticed was that silvio's statments to adriana about chrissy being a tough kid and being able to get through this is very close to the exact same line he told her in the hospital when christopher was shot in "From Where to Eternity". Something that blew my mind as far as chase/the writers go.

jtkbigk77 wrote:i think this scene was one that will always stick with me, as well as the entire ending of this episode. Chase just did an unbelievable job. We see her in the car driving, "getting out". and all of that is taken away from us swiftly as we see silvio at the wheel. It just pulled us in so many directions in a short amount of time, ending in the gunshot. Another thing that i noticed was that silvio's statments to adriana about chrissy being a tough kid and being able to get through this is very close to the exact same line he told her in the hospital when christopher was shot in "From Where to Eternity". Something that blew my mind as far as chase/the writers go.
There's also a very clear dual meaning in what Sil says, at least to my thinking. When he says Chrissy is a tough kid and talks about getting through this he is actually referring to having given Ade up to the crew and knowing she will have to be killed. Sil knows where he is taking her and Chrissy "getting through this" refers to having to deal with Adriana's death.

I thought this aspect of that scene lended itself to a hitchcock like moment, where it actually made a normal looking scene absolutely terrfying. And you watch as she slowly realises what we are realising and the song is so peppy. When he actually shoots her I think the song is changed to something briefly, I wonder what that was. Silvio's acting in that scene (Van Zandt) is amazing. The look on his face and his eyes. Dead on........
You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.

I interpreted this scene as representing Adriana realizing that she should have taken her luggage, and driven herself to California alone, without Christofuh.

When Silvio was talking about Christofuh's health, state of mind, and prognosis, Adriana was crying in silence. She wasn't reacting to what Silvio was saying, she wasn't looking at him, and nothing he said made her worse or better. I think she was crying about something else entirely.

My impression from this scene is that while she didn't know what had actually happened to Christofuh, she did know that the man she loved unconditionally had surrendered her to Tony and Silvio as a rat, with its inevitable conclusion.

She's crying because the love of her life had marked her for death.

She realized, only too late, that she should not have climbed in the car with Silvio, but should have escaped to California without Christofuh. He didn't love her like she loved him.

I'm watching the DVDs, and some episodes have running commentaries. Drea DeMateo comments on this episode. She sounds like a super-nice person, humble, kind and fun.

Return to “Episode 5.12: Long Term Parking”