Re: IV. Early Season 6, Part 2: Tony’s Paternal Rage Intensifie

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:57 pm
The Importance of the Cleaver Symbolism
In contrast, a cleaver has no particular significance for Christopher, a point subtly made in a scene with his AA sponsor when he reports that the “inspiration” for the cleaver idea came when he was watching Edward Scissorhands and suddenly imagined his screen alter ego wielding a cleaverhand in place of the scissorhand. He then immediately corrects himself, saying he first imagined a ball peen hammer but then decided a cleaver was better. Scissors, a hammer, a cleaver, it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other to Chris. None of them means anything in particular to him, but the cleaver means everything in particular to Tony.

Another important parallel is the name of the Tony character in the movie. Yes, he dresses like, talks like, and acts like Tony, but his name bears a striking resemblance to the name “Johnny Boy”. Obviously that gives Cleaver the potential to subtextually evoke Johnny Boy as the object of a son’s murderous rage and to stir latent feelings of paternal hatred in Tony’s subconscious. In effect the movie serves as a transgenerational mirror for paternal hatred, from Tony towards Johnny reflected in Christopher’s hatred towards Tony.
Only 11 years late, so I hope I didn't miss were this was rehashed.

I would argue that the Cleaver is just as significant to Chris. In the pilot Chris "pops his cherry" killing Emil Kolar in the backroom of Satriales. Emil snorts a line of coke off the meat cleaver before Chris shoots him in the head covering the cleaver in blood. The cleaver in that scene looks just like the Cleaver logo.
But this continues to support your theory. Everything is Everything. Here we have another young Italian male losing their innocence in the back of the pork store, with violence, meat cleavers, and pleasing a father all part of the experience. Even the idea emasculation are present. Emil's words, "In Czech Republic too we love pork. Ever have our sausages?" "I thought the only sausages were Italian and Jimmy Dean." (Chris subtly suggesting that Emil does not have sausage, "email, pollock, football" Chris is asserting his power over Emil).

Later, in one of the first and most significant dream sequences not of Tony's, Chris returns to the scene to explore his sub-conscience. The dream is filled with challenges to his masculinity. "You WILL try our sausage" Ade enjoying the sausage, feeling inadequate (didn't take care of the body right). Throughout that episode Chris's conflict "cowboy-itis" comes from his feelings of inadequacy, not having the respect of other men.

It does not have to be, but meat cleavers are heavy and durable tools. It is entirely possible that these is the same cleaver/cutting board that took Satriale's fingers.

Regardless, Tony sent a "son" into the lions den; the same room that caused him such emotional pain; and Chris, doing his best to be a good "son", joined Tony in the club of violence, passing that cursed gene on. "Don't you love me Uncle June?" such a touching and visceral moment that we know is echoing in Chris (Drive home in Cold Cuts).

Re: Tony’s Vicarious Patricide

Great points and insights, PsycAg83. I just recently watched the pilot again for the first time in God knows how many years (was showing it to a friend) and did notice the cleaver in the scene, which I hadn't paid much attention to before.

I still find the cleaver a more resonant and potent symbol in Tony's experience, but the echos you point out regarding Christ make it all the more compelling in terms of connecting "everything to everything.":-)

BTW, welcome to The Chase Lounge!
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”