Grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode 6.16: Chasing It - Grades and General Review

Not a massive fan of episodes based on a single aspect (coming almost outta nowhere) and this one is hands down one of the worst.

When it comes to episodes that don't really drive the plot forward, I prefer the ones with over-arching themes like Fortunate Son (there would be hundreds of ceremonies we don't see but imagine) or University (the way it shows the day-to-day operations of one of the fronts and how gangsters exploit the weak around them) and especially the ones with dream sequences or 60's memories in them, as they are almost timeless in the run of the series.

As for the episode in question, the theme isn't very strong though it is perfectly believable that a boss could go on a high stakes losing streak, losing his gambling ethos there for a while.

But there is this moment, after one of the last visits to Hesh, Tony gets in the car and it's filled with death faces. Baccala suggests there's not much to win by keeping Hesh around, and Carlo Gervasi gets Tony screaming his head off over his light envelopes. However, what strikes me in this scene is when the car takes off, and roaming the streets of NJ are these shark-headed ghouls in leather jackets. Bone Chilling!

pokahontaz wrote:But there is this moment, after one of the last visits to Hesh, Tony gets in the car and it's filled with death faces. Baccala suggests there's not much to win by keeping Hesh around, and Carlo Gervasi gets Tony screaming his head off over his light envelopes. However, what strikes me in this scene is when the car takes off, and roaming the streets of NJ are these shark-headed ghouls in leather jackets. Bone Chilling!
Wwwwwwait. Either I totally missed this part of that scene, you're speaking metaphorically, or you were on some pretty good acid when you watched this ep.
Taps, lights out, 2200 hours. What's missing? Give up? Television.

zwingli wrote:metaphorically, or you were on some pretty good acid when you watched this ep.
LOL, of course it was a metaphor

one grows up watching this (and other violence on tv, may it be fiction or news stories) and becomes desensitized.

The plot was moving forward, they were driving because Tony was going to spot those arabs near the Mosque... but there was something about that moment, it really clicked for me that (by watching the Sopranos) we are watching the day-to-day of some of the most abhorrent people out there... this people would kill their own mother... wink wink :icon_mrgreen:

I don't know, maybe it was because it was right after they were completely cold talking about killing a guy they've known their whole lives (and he wasn't even over a conflict). I know it's Mafia 101 - one has to be a killer to be in the mafia in the first place... However... For some reason... I just thought it was spooky for these Big Fat Killers, to be driving around in a SUV, all dressed in black (as if they're death itself)... almost if they're scouring the neighborhood for victims... I just thought this scene was utterly believable and frightening, as a snapshot of what people like this would be really like. "It won't be cinematic!" to paraphrase a friend of ours

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. That's actually pretty insightful, these guys really are just driving around, talking about who to kill. Even Bobby Baccala at this point is a cold thug looking out only for himself and Tony. And on the topic of Ahmed and Muhammad, I seriously doubt they were really up to any kind of terrorism. I've known a lot of Persians, they really do just gather with their families dressed in the robe and yarmulke - and it's pretty unlikely that actual terrorists would be walking around the streets of NY or NJ dressed up like that, since homeland security was quite blatantly singling out devout Muslims. Actually maybe these guys saw they were mixed up with the wrong people, and wanted to redeem themselves through religion. I know one of them kind of gave Tony a sinister look, probably because he recognized him as the owner of the strip club and all the vices associated.

Actually it's interesting that one of the core plot points of the episode is Tony getting fed up with what he perceives as a "greedy jew", then he sees some Muslims on the street and assumes they are terrorists. It shows his racism, but on another level, his suspicion of these characters may stem partly from the fact that they associated with him.
Taps, lights out, 2200 hours. What's missing? Give up? Television.

Return to “Episode 6.16: Chasing It”