How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Grade This Episode

SilvioMancini wrote:I humbly disagree that "Christopher" was the worst script . That show had a lot of dialogue in it about the creation of America and the genocide imposed on American Indians. It was the only time I can remember American TV prime time talking about that subject with such wisdom and laughter. I know alot of people hated this episode, but I think blaming the writer is a little silly given that it takes more than a script to make the Sopranos. Anyway, funny how one persons least favorite episode can be someone elses' favorite. My love for it ironically comes from being of American Indian\Italian heritage and culture. "Christopher" nails that right on the head in a graceful and honest way. Sorry to rant in here about it......... We'll talk about it again when we get to season 4!
Hey, I said arguably the worst script! :icon_biggrin:

Sil, I agree with you for the most part. "Christopher" wasn't a bad episode (none of them were close to bad), but it would make my personal short list of least favorite ones. There were about 3 or 4 episodes in Sopranos history that felt a little off to me, and despite all of the strong points you mentioned, "Christopher" really took a strange detour to me. It was a weird self-contained episode that really came out of left field.

As I said in another thread though, I felt Chase was somewhat perplexed with certain Italian-American groups who felt offended by The Sopranos, and this was the episode he chose to address the topic.

Re: Episode 2.09: From Where to Eternity - Grades & General

Irishwiseguy wrote:Overall a great episode.

What I didn't like; I didn't like the overlaying music at the start of the episode, the sopranos never do this. It seemed like the show was grasping at straws to pull some emotion out of the audience for Christopher. As we all know, manipulating music is never used on the show (well maybe at the end of an episode). I myself..... felt zero emotion for Christopher, I hated his character in the earlier seasons, so probably old feelings are coming back. Plus I know he doesn't die, so any impact back in the day is lost. Overall I didn't like the music choices for this episode.

I give the episode a 9.
Nice take on the episode but I disagree with this. Maybe it's just personal taste but I loved that they used "Lover's Prayer" to begin and end this episode. Look at the lyrics of the song.
This is my lover's prayer
I hope it'll reach out to you, my love
And I hope you can understand it, my love

My life is such a weary thing
But it might be old pressure bringing rain
You keep wanting, waiting and wishing
When I know deep down that I'm not to blame

What you gonna do tonight
When you need some loving arms to hold you tight
What you gonna do tonight
When you need my heavy voice to tell you good night

Honey but you can't let that be no problem
You've got to come home and help me solve it
[Yeah] I won't be missing you
And honey, my lover's prayer would be all over

What can the matter be [now]?
It can't be too serious, we can't talk it over
Living in this misery, darling
You can't make my life all over

Honey but don't you let that be no problem
Just come on home and help me solve it
[Dear] I won't be missing you
And my lover's prayer would be all over
It got to be all over
Honey, all over
Don't keep my life going round so many circles

I won't be missing you
I won't be missing you
And my lover's prayer won't be all over

Come on y'all
This is my lovers prayer
And I hope it reaches out to you
I hope it gets to you

How does that not mesh in with the complex relationships of Ade/Chris and Tony/Carm. I thought it was an outstanding musical choice.

Then again, I'm partial to this episode, so I'll shut up now.
Bacala: You know, Quasimodo predicted all this.
Tony: Who did what?

Irishwiseguy wrote:Well I guess I just didn't appreciate the song. It was the first episode I had watched in a while, so it just seemed odd. Nice lyrics, thanks for them! I probably just didn't like the sound of the song, but more then likely when I watch this episode (Again) i will more then likely change my mind. (My mind changes constantly with this show).
My mind does too. The show is just so layered, it's hard not to see things in a different light upon further viewing. Knowing what we now know, it's easy not to have any sympathy for Chris. When I first saw this episode he was probable my favorite character and definitely the one I related to the most. I think it it's sympathy for Ade that makes the song work in my mind, at least now.

Lyric wise, i think it's a double edged sword. It could be very romantic or very manipulative. That's why i think it goes beautifully in both sequences.

So was the whole "tell Tony and Paulie 3:00" thing ever addressed in any later episodes? At this point, I have seen no evidence of it, but maybe i need to watch a little bit closer.

I mean -- the only connection I see is that Tony and Paulie were the only 2 main characters such that you dont REALLY know what happens to them at the end of the series. But the 3:00 thing, i cant find any connection

Just watched the episode again. Looking at it through the prism of whole series, the fates of each of the characters become clearer. The viewer can see that each of them could have changed the direction of their lives. Instead they each chose to lock themselves in that way of life.

We also see Tony's contradictory moral universe. The poignancy of his role as compassionate father to the arkward AJ and his brutal slaying of the young frightened hoodlum who tried to have Christopher killed.

But what really was striking was Christopher's relaying his experience in "hell". I have never known of NDEs that involved anything but a pleasant view of the after-life. One would rather adopt Tony's sceptical reaction that all Christopher had was a vivid coma dream. But this is Chase's Universe and these are his creations. Even random events have meaning.

The 3:00 warning is quite obvious now in the light of the Holsten's scene. Rather clever of Chase that he made the viewer think that it meant the time of deaths for Tony and Paulie.

This episode was, IMO, one of the best in Sopranos history. The character development, especially that of Paulie, Tony/Carm, Tony/AJ and Melfi, is incredible. This ep was so rich with layers and rising action...it's hard to pinpoint all of it.

I must admit that I never got over the 3:00 thing not being explained. Kind of like the Russian, but I never really cared about him. Love Carm telling Tone that he made a living out of "undoing God's good work."

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode for many of the same reasons cited by othes posting here.

After reading these comments, I'm curious about 2 things. I'd love it if the original posters respond or if anyone else has input to share:

1) Fly states not caring for the character of Chris; another cites that Michael Imperioli's writing contributions were often viewed as substandard.
I enjoyed Chris and found him to be an integral part of the series but most importantly I believe Imperioli's acting in this role was superb.

2) conkom wrote: "The 3:00 warning is quite obvious now in the light of the Holsten's scene. "
Would he, or anyone, be kind enough to explain, as I miss the connection?

Return to “Episode 2.09: From Where to Eternity”