Rating for the episode

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode 1.12 : A Return to Normalcy

JLTucker wrote:Is it worth coming back to the series after giving up halfway through due to uninteresting characters and poor writing?
I thought the seventh episode, "Home", was a significant step forward for the series but found the last three episodes somewhat lackluster. If you really mean "halfway through" as in the sixth episode, I don't think you're in for many surprises in terms of writing.

Is it time to create a "Boardwalk Empire, Season 1" thread or can we use this thread for those purposes? I'd like to discuss the series and season as whole now; I think there are many interesting and widely differing takes on the show on this board.

Totally agree Harrow was fascinating. It almost seemed intentional the way they held his character back just enough that you need to see more-in a 2nd season.
As the 2nd Sunday approaches since its finale, the more satisfied I was with it. It’s definitely worthy of a repeat viewing which I just might start tonight at 9pm.
If I had 1 complaint about the series it was its underlying attempt at humor. Most of it didn’t really land for me and seemed a bit too strained. The relationship between Nucky and his butler, for example, was an obvious attempt that really didn’t work for me. Other than that, I’ll look forward to what lies ahead. I can only advise that those that have “On Demand” give it another chance

I apologize for the double-post, but I wanted to ask what everyone else though of the "Godfather homage" towards the end of "A Return to Normalcy". While it was fun to watch and say "Hey, this is like the end of One!" it seemed like they didn't have an idea for that sequence and just fell back on something pretty easy. I fear too many people based their judgement of the end more on their recognition of a scene from a classic film rather than the lack of originality.

Of course, my own opinion. It's hard to compare it to the Sopranos because Chase never allowed something like that homage to dominate an important scene. Any time the way something was filmed reminded you of Scorcese or Coppola, the characters were also aware of it. Examples being the Raging Bull shadow-boxing, the bathroom scene from One being in "The Test Dream", etc.

Again, still up there with Breaking Bad and Mad Men (is there another worthwhile hour-long drama out there? 1997 - 2007 was a great time for television, at least on HBO) but still not something that will take the Sopranos throne, if anything ever will.

Speaking of which, I haven't read any of the books, but I'll watch the first episode of "Game of Thrones" to see what all the fuss is about.
What violin?!

I don't know if it's a homage or just the way thing are done. When rivals in the world of organised crime decide to get the upper-hand then it usually means a very bloody gang war.

My initial reaction was this episode reminded me of Tony ordering his crew to wipe out Junior's power base at the end of the first season.

What makes BE compelling is that it is set in the 1920s when the Mafia was trying to establish itself.

Return to “Boardwalk Empire”