How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode 6.21: Made in America - Grades and General Revie

Splishak wrote:It occurs to me that I've never posted my "final" (assuming it will ever posses a degree of finality) take on the final episode. I haven't read every post in this thread and if I say something in this post that someone else has already said, I will apologize for that.

I'm happy with the finale. I don't believe there is any single correct interpretation of the events. If there were, who would determine the correct view? Given that these characters are fictional, I've never seen the point in debating whether Tony is really alive or really dead.

Even assuming that everyone who has ever debated that issue meant whether Tony was alive or dead within the context of the story, are we to accept that the correct interpretation is whatever David Chase says it is? I have problems with that. First of all, as I understand it, many of the stories are the results of collaborations between Mr. Chase and others. So, the finale could very well represent an amalgamated view of more than one person. Also, if Mr. Chase were to stand up one day and say "Tony is alive" but then the following day, he was to say "Sorry. Tony is really dead", should that cause any of us a major calamity? Would it be reasonable for us to dramatically change our feelings about something that we have spent many years loving just because of that? I really don't think so.

My attitude is that the finale has more than one possible interpretation and I can be comfortable with appreciating one interpretation today and possibly changing my mind and appreciating another interpretations tomorrow. I just don't feel any need to identify a single "correct" interpretation. If I can derive some enjoyment out of appreciating more than one possible interpretation, than I'll be happy to do that.

But, to be honest about this, I tend to think about a beautiful work of art found on a cave wall that may have been created by some cave-dwelling artist maybe seven or eight thousand years ago. This artist's life and their world would have been so different from my life and my world that I'd think there would be little chance that I could ever understand their mind or interpret their work of art in the same way they did. But is that important vis a vis my appreciation of the beauty of their art? I don't think so. I think I can appreciate its beauty regardless of what was in the artist's mind 7,000 years ago and regardless of their interpretation of the artwork as compared to my interepretation. I tend to feel the same way about the finale. I just don't think it's reasonable to allow my enjoyment of the work to be colored by Mr. Chase's opinion or comments about it. If I can find some enjoyment in the finale independent from what Mr. Chase thinks about it or what he has to say about it, then I am happy to do so and I hope you all will find your own enjoyment from your own interpretation.

Regardless of all of that, it sure was one sweet ride, wasn't it? It was the best thing that I've ever seen happen to TV. I only hope that HBO takes over the world of TV and helps us all enjoy more quality programming like The Sopranos.
The only reason so many people are debating this is because people want an ending with definite resolution. The writers had that intent and have said so after the episode aired. So it seems like their plan backfired, and nobody can really figure out what they wanted to portray in the finale. There was a definite ending in mind, so they said. Its just that nobody can agree on what that was.

If you go to the hbo website you'll notice something interesting. This weekend they are showing the lasT THREE EPISODES. THE LAST THREE. one more time... THE LAST THREE..... every clue to the ending is in the last three episodes. Ive been saying it all along and I feel the networks decision to air all three together shows that I may be onto something. Why not just show the finale? Why show all three in a row????? Because the last three episodes make on three hour long movie that has all the clues and cues to Tonys' death.. Watch and listen. Im telling you, you'll see what I mean.

SilvioMancini wrote:If you go to the hbo website you'll notice something interesting. This weekend they are showing the lasT THREE EPISODES. THE LAST THREE. one more time... THE LAST THREE..... every clue to the ending is in the last three episodes. Ive been saying it all along and I feel the networks decision to air all three together shows that I may be onto something. Why not just show the finale? Why show all three in a row????? Because the last three episodes make on three hour long movie that has all the clues and cues to Tonys' death.. Watch and listen. Im telling you, you'll see what I mean.
Except for the fact that HBO routinely would air groups of episodes of their series? Perhaps there isn't anything else to it?

HBO 2 replayed the FIRST THREE episodes of this final season on Tuesday night, from 8-11. Then replayed at 11 on HBO 2 West.

They replayed the MIDDLE THREE episodes on Wednesaday evening. Same times.

They replayed the LAST THREE last night.

I can tell you this for a fact because I watched them, although I have to confess I did fall asleep during the last half-hour of MIA. :icon_wink:

I don't get the same significance you do, Sil. :confused:

Hey Sil,

I totally agree with you that the intention was for tony to have been killed, and they did it in a fantastic way with the camera point-of-view idea. The problem I think is that it didn't have the impact that the writers thought it would relating to the "definite ending" they had in mind. It really will require some DVD commentary to settle the controversy once and for all.

I think the groupings of "3's" obviously were intentional and had meaning. Not sure about airing the episodes in groups of threes. It could have been another decision by HBO to air the episodes in three groups of three to send some hints.

SilvioMancini wrote:yeah, i see now. Ive been trying to find a signifigance about the number three and I just thought this added to it a little. Maybe just a TV schedule. But none the less, try watching all last three episodes in a row with your meta-vision goggles on. In the black scene at the end you see tony die........
I missed your point as well. Nowhere on HBO's schedule for the weekend of June 22-24 are the last 3 episodes. There is a rebroadcast of "Soprano Home Movies," and it appears that for the next 9 weekends each of the episodes will be rebroadcast in order, one per weekend.

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”