How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode Grades, Review, and General Comments: 'Walk Like

Wow what an episode. Definentely the strongest one of the new season. I gave it a 9 in the poll, but in reality it is a 9.5 for me. I have now watched it 4 times and I still feel the same way. So much was going on that should play into the ending, with the major story centering around Christopher and his changing role in the family. It is hard not to side with Christopher on this one, when he was using and drinking they gave him shit, not to mention that intervention in Season 4. Now he cleans up his act and they alienate him. I can see him wanting to stay away from the alcohol and such, but they are taking it as an isult like he is too good for them, which I don't think is the case. Either way it has changed and hurt Christopher in a major way as he went from a soilder that would follow Tony into Hell, to someone who looks like he is about to open the family gossip column. I do however think this is just a distraction, I don't believe Christopher will actually rat. He has ranted before about what he could do as this has become his way to blow off steam. I just hope he makes it until the end, Michael Imperioli has become one of my favorite actors in the series over the years. From his performance in "Long Term Parking" to this last episode. The scene at the end between him and J.T. stole the show. A drunken, beaten Christopher's cry for help until ultimately turning back into the cold blooded Mobster. Great job.
It was also interesting seeing The Sopranos version of The Knockaround Guys, with the young sons of the established Mafia members. It seems like Tony has inavertanly sent his son into the life. Even Carmella seems to be happy with it now, because he isn't sitting around on the couch moping all day.
The AJ story was also very interesting this week as we almost saw a complete transfermation of him in this episode. I enjoyed his interaction with Tony in this episode. I couldn't help but to laugh at him in the scene at the construction site with Blanca, even though I am going through a similar situation on the exact same day that this episode originally aired. I guess art does really imitate life! Maybe I need to help torture a degenerate gambler to break out of my funk (I am just kidding, about that part!)
Tony giving any information to the Feds, Terrorism related or not is kind of hard to believe and has to violate some kind of Omerta law. It also shows you how much his character has really changed a lot since the beginning. It is just to dangerous of a line to walk. I can't seem to think that this won't play into the ending in some way. I wonder if Phil will somehow get wind and make a move against Tony because of it.

Re: Episode 6.17: Walk Like a Man - Grades and General Revie

I give this episode a 9, the best one of this season. The set ups are over, the end is close, time for the finals.
Tony is facing many crises, from Carm, AJ, his branch of the mob, NY/Phil. Most of all is decling income, but not willing to cut back on his lifestyle, gambling more money, 'chasing' the thrill and potential income. His castle of his life is being assulted and it may not survive, except as a partial ruin. His mental state is very fragile. To me he will face another mental health crises, possibly another panic attack, as the pressure builds.
Chris has burned his bridges with the mob family, but with Tony, who still sees him like as son. He has killed an innocent in JT and to me may get picked up on a building camera and could be busted. He has returned to drinking. He lawn was torn up, a very public scene. He is in deep trouble himself and it may get worse before the end. He could easliy be in a position to flip, but I don't think he will make it to that point.
AJ seems to be on the road to hell like all the other mob guys, getting involved with the junior division of the Mafia and the collage gambling scene. I think it will either make him or break him.
Paulie seems to headed to a fall too. His carelessness, his declining income, stupid and public stunts like tearing up Chris' home lawn all may mean a time for his comupance (as noted in next eps. description).
Meadow and the Mystery Date. Could be the Barone kid, maybe a lesbian friend, a young mafia hood (as she did before). I think with her horrible track record with relationships, this one may lead to something very bad for her.
Carm is dealing with a horrible storm of crises. She is deeply worried about her own fate as it is so tied in to Tony. She still deeply loves Tony, but is more worried about her and the kids survival.
There isn't much time for NY, but now with Phil clearly the boss there, he will make his moves against NJ, and more specifically to revenge for the deaths of his brother and others in his branch of the mob. To me, others than Tony, yet some close to him (Chris, Bobby, Pauile, Silvio ?) will get hit before it is over.
To me the Feds are going to get very close to getting Tony and his group, but may fail again or only get a partial success with minor characters. They will once again fail to get a key person to flip in time, but as with Adariana, will get some minor info they will attempt to exploit.

Universal Polymath wrote:I totally understand and can relate to that bittersweet "it's coming to a close" feeling, but I don't think it's going to kick in until around episode seven. Knowing we're down to the final three is when it's really going to hit me, and the feeling will only become stronger each week after that.
Yes, I'm quoting myself. I posted this on April 8th, just before the first of the season aired. Man, the weeks fly by so quickly, when you are measuring them just by the time between Sunday to Sunday. There are already more episodes behind us than ahead of us.

I think it's starting to hit me. The first four episodes were the setup, a look into where all the characters stand after the gap between 6a and 6b. Episode five really feels like a transitionary episode; it seems to be the bridge midseason that will take us from the exposition to the resolution. While still setting up plotlines that are yet to be resolved (the rising tension between Chris and the rest of the crew, AJ's ultimate destination in life, etc.), those plotlines have also been advanced greatly in this one episode as well.

And maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, and maybe this post would be better suited for tomorrow night after I see episode six, but I have a hunch things are really going to start moving tomorrow. Let's not forget the ominous words in the episode six promo: "Things Are About to Change"

The feeling of finality and resolution in these episodes is crushing and quite unnerving. While in seasons past, even in the wake of significant events, it felt as if there was a status quo that Tony would undoubtedly return to, I no longer have that comfortable certainty to fall back on - It seems like something permanantly devastating could happen at any moment. That undeniable feeling of dread makes this season like no other, and it's really starting to hit me that this is it. "It's coming to a close" both for Tony - and for myself, a person who has greatly relished looking into his life for so many years now.

Yeah, I'm really, really going to miss this.

Ooof! Just watched this again on DVD. I am just bowled over by the quality of these past nine...yet again. Thanks to God it went out with a bang and not a whimper. To speak slightly on what UP said above, I am so looking forward to that final stretch from K&H on.

And I still can't believe Chris just blew JT away! Wow! :eek:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Detective Hunt wrote:Ooof! Just watched this again on DVD. I am just bowled over by the quality of these past nine...yet again. Thanks to God it went out with a bang and not a whimper. To speak slightly on what UP said above, I am so looking forward to that final stretch from K&H on.

I just had a 6b marathon run of my own today, and came to this here thread for a trip down memory lane. I was thinking the same thing while watching earlier - How I remember these episodes being abnormally strong after the first time, but I had somehow forgotten exactly how strong.

Episode for episode - and yes, especially from "Kennedy and Heidi" on - this was some of the best material the series ever offered. I too am so thankful that this show went out on the absolute top of its game. It would have been a terrible shame had it been any other way.

Detective Hunt wrote:Ooof! Just watched this again on DVD. I am just bowled over by the quality of these past nine...yet again. Thanks to God it went out with a bang and not a whimper. To speak slightly on what UP said above, I am so looking forward to that final stretch from K&H on.

I just had a 6b marathon run of my own today, and came to this here thread for a trip down memory lane. I was thinking the same thing while watching earlier - How I remember these episodes being abnormally strong after the first time, but I had somehow forgotten exactly how strong.

Episode for episode - and yes, especially from "Kennedy and Heidi" (another episode I just commented on) on - this was some of the best material the series ever offered. I too am so thankful that this show went out on the absolute top of its game. It would have been a terrible shame had it been any other way.
EDIT: My 300th post, Woohoo! I'm officially an Honorary Capo! I wish someone were around here to enjoy this with me!

Return to “Episode 6.17: Walk Like a Man”