Chris' Demise

I seriously feel that what chris did will be his end. I dont see how that could end up without the feds finding out who did it. Once Tony realises that Chris has done ANYTHING that could get the feds more up his ass... it will be over for him. Also the threat of Chris flipping is pretty high right now.

Also I found AJ to be surprisingly happy after his first beat down for money... maybe he could do something in the life after all?

Re: Chris' Demise

Excellent episode! For the second time I was actually feeling a bit of sympathy for Christopher. (The first time was the end of "Cold Cuts" when he was driving home alone from Uncle Pat's farm and had tears in his eyes because he had once again been double-teamed by the two Tonys.) Then tonight I was feeling sappy because he was trying to explain his love for his baby daughter to the ever sensitive Paulie and just ignited that whole ball-breaking fest at his own expense.
Wow!! Five minutes later he's spilling his guts to JT and then it's over with a bullet to JT's head. Saw that one coming the minute he started to blab. The only way it could have ended. Goodbye Christopher, the beginning of the end for you. Michael Imperoli is one hell of an actor.

MasonDixon wrote:Excellent episode! For the second time I was actually feeling a bit of sympathy for Christopher. (The first time was the end of "Cold Cuts" when he was driving home alone from Uncle Pat's farm and had tears in his eyes because he had once again been double-teamed by the two Tonys.) Then tonight I was feeling sappy because he was trying to explain his love for his baby daughter to the ever sensitive Paulie and just ignited that whole ball-breaking fest at his own expense.
Wow!! Five minutes later he's spilling his guts to JT and then it's over with a bullet to JT's head. Saw that one coming the minute he started to blab. The only way it could have ended. Goodbye Christopher, the beginning of the end for you. Michael Imperoli is one hell of an actor.
My aunt and I were discussing the same thing re sympathy for Chris tonight right after the episode. I even brought up the fact that Cold Cuts was the only other occasion. So he finally generates a modicum of sympathy, and then, boom, he totally obliterates it by shooting a guy in the head simply because the guy was too afraid to be his confessor. Once a scumbag, always a scumbag I guess.

But if there was any doubt at all, tonight finally established that Chris is ready to flip if there is the least incentive to do so.

And who knows: Tony may have inadvertently provided the means by playing good American citizen and tipping Harris about the Arabs. Chris was the one doing business with them, and he will be the big fish on the hook for the credit card scam and weapons sales if Harris and company get anywhere in their investigation. How ironic if the charges that lead to a witness protection deal with Chris against Tony originate from a tip Tony himself gave the FBI.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:And who knows: Tony may have inadvertently provided the means by playing good American citizen and tipping Harris about the Arabs. Chris was the one doing business with them, and he will be the big fish on the hook for the credit card scam and weapons sales if Harris and company get anywhere in their investigation. How ironic if the charges that lead to a witness protection deal with Chris against Tony originate from a tip Tony himself gave the FBI.
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of after Tony called Chris to get the names and number. I have a feeling this may be where they are heading with this ...

Though what do you think are the chances that there will be major repercussions for JT's death? Dolan's girlfriend has seen Chris become violent toward him before, and may make a connection here. Plus, Chris wasn't particularly careful on his way in, as far as leaving behind fingerprints. Did he touch the doorknob to let himself in? Or did JT open it for him? Or is this whole incident just going to get filed under the "Red Herring" category, like so many other things in the past?

Was there any symbolism in the scene where Tony instructs Chris about barbecuing? I think he was telling him the steak can still cook when it's not over the flame. He was telling Chris to calm down and he could still earn money. Then he mentioned about flipping the rib. Will Chris flip?

It seems Tony's treating him the same way Pussy was treated. The discussions about business don't include him. I think Tony already suspects a possible flip by Christopher.

I wonder when Tony told the feds he knew someone dealing with the arabs, if he's talking about Christopher. Maybe Tony will turn Chrissy over to the feds and "bank the results on goodwill" as he put it.

Universal Polymath wrote:Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of after Tony called Chris to get the names and number. I have a feeling this may be where they are heading with this ...

Though what do you think are the chances that there will be major repercussions for JT's death? Dolan's girlfriend has seen Chris become violent toward him before, and may make a connection here. Plus, Chris wasn't particularly careful on his way in, as far as leaving behind fingerprints. Did he touch the doorknob to let himself in? Or did JT open it for him? Or is this whole incident just going to get filed under the "Red Herring" category, like so many other things in the past?

Yeah I watched again and on the way out he clearly touches the door knob and closes the door behind him.

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Once a scumbag, always a scumbag I guess.

so does this general rule of thumb apply to tony soprano as well?

a man who beat another human being with a belt for sleeping with an ex girlfriend, personally killed 5+ people including blood relatives, constantly cheats on his wife, heads a massive criminal enterprize that makes its money extorting honest people, hits women in the face with his fist, had a black police officer busted off the street for simply doing his job, etc

sounds kind of like a scumbag to me....

On repeat viewing it stands out clearly that Chris brought about his own (potential) demise by choosing (not being forced) to drink alcohol with Paulie at the club. Had he accepted Paulie's offer of a club soda he would have still felt ostracized and not as inside LCN as before, but he could have still earned money and be a productive soldier. Instead the booze sent him on an alcohol-fueled rage at everybody that led to Tim Daly's demise (a cold-blooded murder with huge implications given what Christopher talked about). Chris choosing to drink (in essence choosing to go the destructive path he so vehemently denounced at the AA meeting) one last, potentially deadly time is one of the key moments in the entire "Sopranos" saga. It's such a small and subtle moment, just like David Chase wants them to be, that turns out to be looked back upon as the time when everything turns around.

Return to “Episode 6.17: Walk Like a Man”