How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Grade This Episode

7 - A solid episode. Not the best, but not the worst either. My main complaint is Carm's insistance on Jean Cusimano's twin to write Meadow a reference letter. To me, that does come off as a bit one-dimensional. It seems like Chase and writers thought of the way a mob-wife might bully others into getting what she wants. Carmella is certainly capable of such an act, just the way it was presented seemed to be a bit out of character. Not by much, mind you. I do wonder why Chase and co. decided to do the "twin sister" business, it is distracting with the numerous camera changes and really pulls the viewer out of the story. I wonder if it has to do somewhat with the re-occuring theme of duality on the Sopranos.

I do enjoy the idea of Tony giving the housekeeper's husband the coat. It is funny, and still puts more distance and friction between him and Richie. The whole issue with Matt and Sean, the young newcomers. While they are great as far as plot goes and fun characters to watch interact, the viewer simply does not relate to them, as they are too dumb and incompetent to last in the organized crime. Their decision to hit Chris epitomizes their ignorance. So, like I said, while they are good for the story, they also seem one-dimensional.

Finally, a point that has always annoyed me is Tony's reaction to Chris being shot. He sits at Chris's bed stating, "How could this happen." While initially, this is incredibly powerful. A lack of music and silence, save for medical "beeps" are used to a great degree. However, is Tony REALLY that detached that he thinks any member of his crew is untouchable? Tony is many things but he isn't stupid. And the fact that he would ask, "how could this happen?", just grates on me. He is in organized crime. The number of people who would take a shot at Chris are probably in the triple digits. Being sad, worried, angry, and grieving? I can understand that, but wondering how it could happen? Sorry, just doesn't ring true to me. But as is always true in the Soprano-verse, what individuals say, rarely tells what they really intend.

Re: Grade This Episode

I agree Garthman...pretty damn good episode! You know what, I thought the exact same thing when Tony was questioning "How could this happen?".
But after watching a bit more of the episode, I think Tony (being Chris's father figure) may have been talking to himself.. meaning, how could HE let this happen, how come Tony could not protect him!?
I think Tony maybe feel a little guilty. He brought Chris into this life and he was suppose to provide the secutrity and protection.

Just my thoughts while watching.

Also notice Chris on the morphine. Good forshadowing.

aprilemoney wrote:I agree Garthman...pretty damn good episode! You know what, I thought the exact same thing when Tony was questioning "How could this happen?".
But after watching a bit more of the episode, I think Tony (being Chris's father figure) may have been talking to himself.. meaning, how could HE let this happen, how come Tony could not protect him!?
I think Tony maybe feel a little guilty. He brought Chris into this life and he was suppose to provide the secutrity and protection.

Just my thoughts while watching.

Also notice Chris on the morphine. Good forshadowing.
Those are good points. Gandolfini's acting is so amazing that I think that last line really pulls alot of viewers in, with Tony's vulnerability. But it still doesn't make much sense. I like your take on it. Viewing Tony as grief-stricken and more importantly guilt-stricken, is an interesting take on the ending of the episode. As much as Tony plays a hard figure, callus mob boss, he blames himself for just about every wrong thing that happens in his circle.

Explain your thoughts on the morphine. Not quite sure what you meant there.

I think Aprilemoney is saying that the morphine is foreshadowing to the drug problems he would get carried away with in the future.

I gave this episode and "8". Maybe that's too generous, but I think it's very difficult to grade any episode lower than an "8" in my book. It's an average Sopranos episode, which is just merely great as opposed to being "stupendous" or "astonishing", lol.

Can we get this out of the way: it's a damn short episode. What is it 40-something minutes? I supposed that added to the shock of the ending, because the episode cuts out shortly after, which really adds to the "What the..." feeling of the whole episode.

"Full Metal Jacket" really reveled in banality, only to shock you in the end. It's a formula that they used in another episodes as well, especially Members Only Now, whenever an episode puposefully seems to lull you into a sense of calm (Carmella is trying to get Meadow a good letter of recommendation, Tony is dicovering he likes sushi...) I get nervous because I think something disastrous is about to happen. There have been other episodes where episodes carried that tone, without that payoff ("House Arrest", "Kaisha") but that's just Chase keeping us on our toes, lol.

If I remember correctly, it's alot of Chip & Dale (I think that was their nicknames), Carmella and the letter business, and Richie moping about the jacket, and then BOOM...Christopher is shot! Great shocker, no one saw it coming. It really is effective and leads to the events of "From Where to Eternity" possibly a top-5 episode for me.

I really enjoyed this episode as well, I gave it an 8. That may be a bit high, but I got a kick out of Tony giving Richie's prized jacket to the housekeeper's schlub of a husband. That was the ultimate slap in the face to Richie. It also helped to increase Richie's ill feelings towards Tony that got him talking about moving against Tony.

I agree with most about Carmela "strong arming" Jean Cusamano about the letter for Meadow. Not really sure what the purpose was, except maybe to show that she can be as vindictive as Tony, when she wants to be. Carmela is no angel either.

The emotion showed by Tony while sitting by Christopher's hospital bed was tremendous. I agree it seems a bit much for him to say "how can this happen?" It doesn't really apply given Christopher's career. If it was Meadow or AJ or Carm it would make sense, but not really with Christopher. The only thing I can assume is like mentioned above, that he is asking himself; how can I let this happen? If you look at it from that perspective it makes a lot of sense. Given the father type role Tony has taken with Christopher.

One thing I never understood was why Sean and Matt decided to try and take out Christopher? He was the only one who liked them and tryed to help them out along the way. Why they would try to kiss up to Richie is beyond me, since they knew Christopher was the one that was close to Tony. Richie pretty much blew them off anyway before they shot Chrissie. I guess it can be explained by the fact that, that was the point of their characters, they were just a couple of dumb kids who had no buisness in the Buisness at all.

Personally I think Lil Carmine should have started a family with these two and Jackie Jr. What a group of stunods those four were/are!

Re: Episode 2.08: Full Leather Jacket - Grades & General Rev

I think its a solid episode, not the best but not the worst. I never really liked the ending, possibly because I never gave a shit about Christopher (especially in the early seasons). I did find Tony's reaction odd and thus I never liked the ending. I'm sure it had some sort of impact back in the day but it just doesn't do anything for me. It just seemed fake to me, which is extremely rare when I'm watching the sopranos. Any who, I gave this episode a 7.

Re: Episode 2.08: Full Leather Jacket - Grades & General Rev

At the end in the hospital room when it shows Tony saying how could this happen who was the guy rubbing his shoulder?
I first thought it was Paulie but after re-watching you can clearly see him in the background by the door beside Sil. I actually think it Richie. It looks like his jacket, in fact I'm almost positive it is him. I just find it funny that he would be there(although he is Adriana'a uncle)and consoling Tony with him just finding out about Tony giving the jacket away.

Return to “Episode 2.08: Full Leather Jacket”