Should we add a chatroom?

Wondering how many out there would like a chatroom. I've hesitated up to now because chatrooms have been a noted source of hacker infiltration on other forums, something I'm obviously hoping to avoid here. Also one of the few cheap/free chat alternatives for vBulletin forums has a limit of only 10 people in the chatroom at once.

I don't forsee it would be used very much except as it was before, for pre-show live exchanges to work off some of the excitement and anticipation right before airing. I really don't think the Sopranos is the kind of show that lends itself to post-airing dissection in a chatroom, and I certainly prefer that thoughts of substance and reflection be used in threads rather than in chat.

Still, I'm willing to try to install something in time for this Sunday, kind of a "week before" chat get together, if there is enough interest. Speak up if you want one.:icon_cool:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Re: Should we add a chatroom?

jouster wrote:Based on the little experience I had in the chat last year, I vote yes. That was fun for "pre-show" discussion, and sharing some brief thoughts afterwards, but leaving the real substantial discussion for the threads. I'd like to see one.
I second 100% everything jouster just said. Live chat would be a really great addition, provided the trolls and hacking are kept to a minimum.

Yes to chatroom! I love talking about the episode right after the show! And there are many chats that you can get (free) that you can have limits on!

I am usually in Yahoo Chat under Entertainment & Arts ---> Television --->Sopranos, The (chatroom)My screen name is lovinlikeabutterfly
I didn’t want to show crime pays, I didn’t want to show crime doesn’t pay...David Chase on the ending

Well, after a ton of work updating the forum software to the latest version to minimize security risks, and after an ordeal trying to get the chat software installed and integrated with the forum software (which is still not finished), there is an accessible chatroom at the moment.

When some bugs are worked out, I will put a link at the top of the forum home page under the navigation bar. For now, you can pop into the chat room and have a look around by clicking here: http://thechaselounge.net/chat/flashchat.php

If you are already logged in, you should be able to get right in. If not, you will be asked for your Chase Lounge user name and password. Chat is not available for non-members.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

No good, for me. I'm logged in, but the chat asks me for a username and password. I entered my info and that didn't work, so I tried resetting my password and logging in with that. Still no go. Anyone else having problems? I've used the FlashChat fine on other boards, so that's not the problem.

jouster wrote:No good, for me. I'm logged in, but the chat asks me for a username and password. I entered my info and that didn't work, so I tried resetting my password and logging in with that. Still no go. Anyone else having problems? I've used the FlashChat fine on other boards, so that's not the problem.

I had the same problem!

Monadax

Wow, three users with the same problem is not a good sign. I will work to figure it out. Tonight if all you guys could show up, say around 9:00 PM Eastern and try to get in, it might help me make some diagnoses.

So far I've been successful getting in under my account, under a dummy account I've set up here at the forum to test certain features from the perspective of registered user without admin privileges, and under my aunt's account. So I'm batting 3 for 3.

If you guys are still unable to get in tonight, I would like to try getting in from my system on your account(s) using a temporary password. If I'm able, that should be of some benefit in diagnosing the problem.

ETA: There is now a chat link under the navbar.

Return to “Request a Sitdown (Pre-2016)”