How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Grade This Episode

8 - Love the Melfi scenes, and nice to see some standard mobster stories, which we have seen less of lately. Always like seeing Tony using his clout to do things for those in his personal life. Also, we get the first of many beatings on Georgie, the Bartender.

Re: Grade This Episode

Personally, I am going for a 6 on this one. It gets major points for the Melfi scenes, the Georgia beatings (that poor bastard), and the scenes between Tony and his mother. However, the whole "gotta find the Saturn for the school teacher" stuff just didn't do it for me, especially when it starts to devolve into the whole "rape of the Italian culture" bit of Paulie's. True, it does provide some humorous moments, but it seems out of place, especially in only the second show.

What this episode does do well, however, is make sure we understand the world set up by the pilot. It brings in Jackie Aprile and helps establish just exactly the power Tony has in relation to Junior and even mentions "Old Man DiMeo."

Not the best episode ever, but certainly not the worst.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Detective Hunt wrote:Personally, I am going for a 6 on this one. It gets major points for the Melfi scenes, the Georgia beatings (that poor bastard), and the scenes between Tony and his mother. However, the whole "gotta find the Saturn for the school teacher" stuff just didn't do it for me, especially when it starts to devolve into the whole "rape of the Italian culture" bit of Paulie's. True, it does provide some humorous moments, but it seems out of place, especially in only the second show.

What this episode does do well, however, is make sure we understand the world set up by the pilot. It brings in Jackie Aprile and helps establish just exactly the power Tony has in relation to Junior and even mentions "Old Man DiMeo."

Not the best episode ever, but certainly not the worst.
All good points. I didn't mind the things that bothered you, as I found that they helped build character in front of the audience, so we really got a feeling for who they were as individuals. The rape of the culture bit really told quite alot about Paulie, from my perspective. And it doesn't devolve into a whole other storyline or anything, it just is an annoyance Paulie has.

I am a sucker for any episode where Tony uses his power (or has the opportunity to use his power) in a way that is out of the norm for him. So, with the stolen car and in "Boca" with the soccer coach, and of course the unforgettable, "Employee of the Month" from season three. I just find that dynamic to really illustrate the difference in personalities and value between him and the other guys in his crew. But I definitely agree with your sentiment, not the best, not the worst.

Well, I do think it tends to devolve into a separate story-line, in the sense that we spend at least fifteen minutes or more on just Paulie and Puss trying to find the car. It's that type of thing that Chase seems to do every now and then that tends to take away from my real enjoyment of the show - Tony and Carm.

You are certainly correct that it shows a sense of Tony's power. And further, finds a humorous way to do it. But in repeated viewings, it has grown tiresome to me, as other scenes and derivitive storylines have not - such as the Employee of the Month issue with Melfi. The only reason Boca scores as high as it does for me, even with the whole soccor coach saga, is for one, the scenes in which Chianese shines with Bobbie. As well, it gives not just Artie a chance to show the kind of man he is not willing to be, but also the kind of man Tony may not want to be, in the end - he comes home and is proud of the fact that he didn't hurt anybody.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Episode 1.02: 46 Long - Grades & General Review

Please remember that even though I own all "Sopranos" seasons on DVD I don't watch them frequently or obsessively. What might be an episode you're sick of thinking about or seen too many times to remember I've only seen once or twice (tops!). Please be gentle!

I watched the Pilot episode and "46 Long" back-to-back an hour ago (still not sure what that title means!) and I agree with Detective Hunt that the 2nd episode really takes the character sketches and concepts from the Pilot and adds more dimension to them. Gone were the missteps from the first episode (Carmela taking money from soup cans and wielding an automatic rifle, Satriale's being located in a corner store and having a different name, etc.) although a few remain (Gandolfini's accent changes from scene-to-scene between the Jersey accent we've known all along and the Pilot's weak attempt) and the strengths from the core of David Chase's primary idea (a mobster trying to deal with both of his families) emerge stronger than ever. Since this is the first episode where Paulie is featured prominently (the character barely appears in the Pilot) I didn't mind his 'Italian culture rape' speech. Heck, I had a blast watching Paulie steal that small espresso machine from the coffee place (small enough to hide below his jacket) and thinking about how he gave a much, much bigger-sized espresso to Tony after their Miami trip in "Remember When" eight years later. The plot about getting the stolen Saturn from AJ's science teacher was kind-of forgettable and dumb (like a grown-up version of "Scooby-Doo" about the bosses' kid) buy hey, whatcha gonna do? It's only their second episode, but to see Livia run her friend over with her parked car was fracking hilarious (biggest laugh I've had in a long while). Did I mention I don't watch old "Sopranos" episodes often? :)

I watched this episode on DVD. It was odd to see it (a) start with a cold opening of Tony & crew in the backroom of the Bing before the opening credits and (b) a low-key but clearly audible audio track while Tony is putting away pictures of young Livia in an empty box (right before he has a panic attack) that sounds like the type of BGM used by "Law & Order"-type shows to add dramatic punch to a scene. Even in its second episode Chase & Co. were clearly trying to find themselves. That's why the early seasons of "The Sopranos" are fun to watch, the lack of intellectual pretension and hype that took over the show in latter seasons. Contrast the casual clothes Tony and Melfi wear in their sessions in "46 Long" with, say, the expensive garbs Tony was wearing when Melfi fired him as a patient in "Comet." It was interesting to see Marchant and Falco interact alone (few scenes between both women alone) and how Carmela was the only one that could have taken Livia's shit and thrown it back at her face.

It was also interesting to see the name of James Manos Jr. in the credits as co-producer (and writer of an upcoming "Sopranos" episode) of this season. He's the man that has developed for television, writes and executive produces Showtime's "Dexter," the closest HBO's rival has come to have a hyped and talked-about show that rivals "The Sopranos" (if not in ratings at least in quality). Looks like Manos took cues from the master (Chase) and is now running his own very succesful show on Showtime (good for him).

oh, what a lousy reply this is. but "46 long" refers, i think, to the size of the italian suits stolen by chris in some respect. i'm not sure on the details, haven't rewatched it recently.

well, that's not strictly true. i rewatched it as recently as a month ago, but then i've since rewatched the entire series so my memory is not as spectacularly focussed on this episode as i might wish.

it doesn't seem like a lot of folks are sticking around, but let's see. . .
--wgw

"there's some folks out there that if they don't get it, you can't tell 'em." (louis armstrong)

After a very long week of work, it was a great treat to finally relax and take in episode two last night.

"46 Long" is filled with memorable moments. When I think of early season one, a lot of little things from this episode in particular come to mind: The little intro scene that plays before the opening credits; Georgie's difficulties with the phone; the fire at Livia's house (and the concerned stripper that asks Tony if she's okay); Pussy and Paulie's search for the science teacher's Saturn (not my favorite storyline, but it really wasn't all that bad); Paulie's "rape of the culture" rant; Livia running down Fanny in her driveway. There was a lot packed in this episode.

I always remember this episode for being particularly funny, and for really trying to be funny, it seems. The shift in mood over the course of the series is quite evident, but this early episode specifically has a more lighthearted feel to it even when compared to other S1 offerings. There was a lot of comedy in this one. Some things worked for me (the fire and Livia's slow 911 dial, and most of the things I listed above, really) and some things didn't (Most of the Paulie/Pussy stuff, the "Starbucks"/"Buttfucks" confusion, etc.), but Chase's attempt to bill this show as a comedy is very obvious in this one.

And speaking of comedy, if you've ever wondered what The Sopranos would be like with canned laughter (I know I have spent many nights thinking about it), check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B7NbahEFS0

It's a pretty entertaining little clip, and borrows quite a few clips from this episode.

I must confess that personal and work obligations kept me from watching last night. And because I'm watching with my brother this time, we plan on doubling up next Sunday with 46 Long and Denial, Anger. . . I'll weigh in with more up to date thoughts then.

I agree that the stolen car storyline was pretty marginal in and of itself, but I did greatly enjoy Paulie and Pussy in the Starbucks. After the very WASPY girl taking orders completes her list of coffee specials for the day -- all with pretentious or overwrought foreign names -- a bewildered Paulie asks, "You got any . . . just plain coffee?" The WASP calls out "One cafe regulare". LMAO! That is classic Sopranos humor. Paulie's theft at the end of the scene was equally hilarious. Just a small glimpse into his peculiar brand of criminal psychology.

I also agree that Livia running her friend over was perversely comical. Just one of those complete gut-splitting moments.

Without a doubt my favorite part of the episode is when Tony visits Livia and eats some ham while she tries to convince him he needs to take one of her chairs home because she's dying and must dispose of all her belongings. Things are relatively good between them until Livia mentions that she gave away her expensive jewelry to a cousin. Tony's face drops and he yells, "You give a cousin Cartier bracelets and you give me a vibratin' chair?!" The rest of the conversation is just as priceless with Livia giving us our first "poor you" and telling Tony to "go into the ham and take out the carving knife" and stab her in the chest. That scene alone makes this episode classic.:icon_biggrin:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Episode 1.02: 46 Long”