Committing crimes in broad daylight?

Ok, Chris & Paulie killing the waiter in a dark grimy back alley (and getting away with is - so far) is barely believeable, but Feech busting up some guy and Paulie doing the same thing in BROAD DAYLIGHT on a residential street? I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.
These guys are professional criminals and have been for 30+ years. This kind of crack & jack type behavior might be acceptable to some homeboys in their own neighborhood because they don't know better and they have little to lose. But, Feech is on parole & Paulie has ties with organized crime and a mother to care for - these kinds of piddly ass crimes make no sense for them to commit IN PERSON bacause the stakes are too high.
If the landscaping route was an important income point or power play, they should have sent a couple of their hired thugs to 'send the message', reminicient of when Tony & Johnny sent 'messages' to one another through the housing appraiser last year.

There's no way that Tony can have the entire NJPD on his payroll, so there has to be legal repercussions for these types of acts. In an older neighborhood like that that has a senior population, residents are always peeping out their windows and they would have witnessed what went down, the kind of cars the guys drove, etc.
I'm sorry, but this type of storytelling is ruining the 'believability' and entertainment I receive from this show.

</p>

Re: Committing crimes in broad daylight?

Interesting topic. In alot of old fashioned Italian neighborhoods, the entire community knows 'whats up' with incidents such as those and keep it to themselves. Many mafiosos (Paulie for one) are the product of these neighborhoods and Organized Crime is so common that everyone pretty much minds their own business; as if the mob is their form of a government. Like in the movie Summer of Sam, as you can see crime is most definitely reported in that neighborhood, and in Godfather 3, the old lady who walks up to Vincent (Andy Garcia) and says something along the lines of, "you have to do something about that Joey Sazza, he has no respect for the neighborhood, selling drugs to kids". This is a possible answer to your concern, but than again, unless someone actually gets a license plate #, its hard to find a suspect based on only descriptions. You definitely know that Sal Vitro and Gary LaManna-who are the victims of this violence-wouldnt speak to cops about this.

</p>

Broad daylight

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Ok, Chris & Paulie killing the waiter in a dark grimy back alley (and getting away with is - so far) is barely believeable,<hr></blockquote>
I'd say this is believable, because nobody saw them. If cops start to investigate the murder, they'll probably suspect some local punks instead of out-of-town-mobsters. The murder looks definitely like a botched mugging.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>but Feech busting up some guy and Paulie doing the same thing in BROAD DAYLIGHT on a residential street? I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.<hr></blockquote>
These guys don't commit any major crimes in broad daylight. The feds can't persuade any reluctant civilians to testify against known gangsters, and if the crimes aren't bigger than these beatings, they probably won't even bother to try. The feds in Sopranos are still talking about the Bevelaqua-murder, but don't even try to persuade the eye-witness. Why? Because there's not much they can offer him. The feds try to get made men and associates to testify, because they can offer immunity, witness protection program and basically a way out of the life. I can't see why some civilians wanted to get into the witness protection program, if they don't get any benefits out of it.

</p>

beatings

eruptus,I respectfully disagree.

You posted, "These guys don't commit any major crimes in broad daylight".

These beatings could easily be prosecuted as attempted murders and the threat of a 10 - 20 stretch in prison could make a guy flip to avoid prosecution. It was reckless and unnecessary for these Capos to do these deeds themselves.

I guess we all will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

</p>

Paulie and Chris and Killing The Waiter

They took the tab. It would be quite easy for the cops to just count the recipts, realize which one was misssing, question the girls who a a gentleman at the table sent them a bottle of champagne. Granted, no one knows them in Atlantic City, or so they claim, but look at Gotti, he was infamous. Everyone knew who he was. And Johnny Sack was there, and he was featured on a newsprogram earlier on in the episode. I gotta use, it is a movie, which is a copout, but they would have been completly busted. The FBI looks for anything to put away any of these guys, either in real life, or this show, and I think it would be very simple for Paulie and Chris to have to deal with the repercussions of this. I do find the whole landscaping incident, believeable. As someone posted, Italian neighborhoods do keep quiet about certain things. Aunt Mary's Neighborhood was probably hush hush about it. Anyways, I loved the entire waiter scene, and next incident, but they would have gone to jail in a second if this were real life. I mean, think back to Season One, with Chris liftiing merchanides out of a UPS van. Do you remember how pissed Tony was because of possible repercussions? Or when Chris shot that guy in the foot? That one got squashed because Tony had a guy on the force, but a murder, especially after all these big name Mobsters sit down for dinner?

</p>

Capos

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> they arent capos... <hr></blockquote>
Yes they are.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>These beatings could easily be prosecuted as attempted murders and the threat of a 10 - 20 stretch in prison could make a guy flip to avoid prosecution. <hr></blockquote>
Yeah, but the guys who got beat up won't testify for the reasons I said before. So there's no case.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub132.ezboard.com/bsopranolandf ... eruptus</A> at: 3/24/04 1:34 am

Return to “Episode 5.03: Where's Johnny?”