is paulie the underboss?

i have read in several places that paulie is the underboss of the family but ive never really noticed any episode that actually talks about him being underboss. even carmine didnt know who he was. and if he is underboss then how come silvio became acting boss after tony was shot?

Re: is paulie the underboss?

Welcome to the forum, ilovemeadow.:smile:

While I hope someone more knowledgable than I about Mafia hierarchies will weigh in, I'm very confident that Paulie is not an underboss. He's just a captain . . . an old, well-established captain.

Sil is consiglieri and that made him the highest ranking guy under Tony to take over after the shooting.

Before the shooting, Junior was still technically the "Boss" of the family and Tony was the "Street Boss", even though everyone important knew who the real boss was. After the shooting, I presume no one even grants the title "Boss" to Junior anymore, so Tony would be boss in reality and in name. As I view it, there is no underboss in the DiMeo family at present. (I think underboss is an "optional" position anyway . . . some families have them, some don't.)

I believe technically they are all acting bosses to DiMao who last time I checked was still in prison and not dead. Anyway technically Tony is underboss to Junior but now that Junior is out of the picture Tony would be boss and Sil would be consig/underboss. Also remember that Pauly is only a captain as of season 2 so hes not even that old of a capo.

Mikey wrote:I believe technically they are all acting bosses to DiMao who last time I checked was still in prison and not dead. Anyway technically Tony is underboss to Junior but now that Junior is out of the picture Tony would be boss and Sil would be consig/underboss. Also remember that Pauly is only a captain as of season 2 so hes not even that old of a capo.
What do you meen? That Paulie was bumped up to captain in season two?

I belive Paulie was already a captain and Tony bumped him up to underboss. This was at the Lou Costello memorial, when Furio arrived.

Tony said, you'r getting a bump, so if he was already a captain, what else would his title be if not underboss?

Remember, the pecking order was Tony, and Sil and Paulie together. Silvio remains consiglieri and naturally takes Tonys place when he was shot. The underboss is only a sort of middle management to make Tony safer.

Thats my theory at least :)

Return to “Sopranos FAQ”