Re: Your Favorite Episode Endings

This is just me running down the episode guide on HBO's website and seeing if I can remember the endings:

Pilot - "the beast in me" with the shot of the pool and everyone going into the house. Brilliant.
Denial, Anger, Acceptance - beautiful ending.
The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti - I can't help but grin when I hear that Cake song and see Christopher get so stoked over his name being mentioned in the paper.
D-Girl - Pussy crying in the bathroom, Christopher coming to a decision. One of the more potent and moving moments in the series.
From Where to Eternity - this episode, while always a quality episode, was never anything spectacular. Over repeated viewings, my opinion of it has climbed. And the ending with T & C making love, good stuff.
The Knight in White Satin Armor - T & C on the couch and Carm's brilliant last line. All the while, T sits exhausted from a day's work well done. Classic moment with much humor. They say so much with such limited dialogue.
Proshai, Livushka - T drinking scotch? whiskey? watching Public Enemy I think, as a he tears up. Great episode.
Fortunate Son - AJ having a panic attack. Hilarious.
Employee of the Month - how could one little 'No.' be such a powerful moment?
Pine Barrens - driving off to that opera song and the scene w/Melfi. Awesome.
Army of One - still don't get the changing languages (the universality of being ungrateful?) but I think this is a pretty great ending.
For All Debts Public and Private - The $20 bill and that song. Chills.
The Weight - disgusting ending but one of the more brilliant endings in Sopranos.
Mergers & Acquisitions - "Is there something you wanted to talk about Tony?" Each of them has a secret that the other one knows that the other knows but can't reveal. Great ending.
Eloise - a more jagged and uneven episode overall, but Carm staring off into the camera while that song plays. She's numb. Love it.
Two Tonys - what can I say?
Rat Pack - stylistically, not a brilliant ending, but the writing and plot point of Ade giving up her slutty friend is so clever.
Where's Johnny? - :(
Irregular Around the Margins - that last shot with Carm fuzzed out and tony behind her in the shot, looking remorseful/grateful. The interaction b/w Vito and Chrissy. Classic Sopranos.
In Camelot - chills
Marco Polo - the Joey Peeps hit. :) :)
Cold Cuts - Oh, probably one of my favorite Sopranos endings ever. I hate to say that I experience a bit of shadenfreude in the way Tony tortures Janice. Im sad but laughing at the same time.
Members Only - well...
Mayham - not a great episode, but that shot of tony sitting in the hospital chair at the end. Carm's "I don't know how you do it."
Mr. & Mrs. John Sacrimoni Request - :)
Johnny Cakes - Patsy's line. Hilarious.
Soprano Home Movies - such a moving ending. Stylistically, the way it's shot with the song. A really haunting moment.
Stage 5 - Bloody bloody bloody. Yikes
Chasing It - this ending also affects me a lot.

Sorry if that's too many. Hope I didn't take the fun out of it for anyone else.

The Sopranos has so many brilliant episode endings, probably more than any other television series. I'll begin with my favorites from the sixth season as they're freshest in my head:

"Join the Club"
Tony's lost. Love the Moby song.

"Soprano Home Movies"
Very moving; a bleak, yet strangely beautiful picture and an innovative use of "This Magic Moment".

"Kennedy and Heidi"
The desert, that's what's left of Tony's soul now that he "gets it." Profound stuff.

"The Blue Comet"
Ominous.

Re: Your Favorite Episode Ending?

I've always had a soft spot for the ending of "Long Term Parking."

Adriana's last episode(as a living character) and just the mood created by the last scene, the Fall colors, the sadness on Tony's face as "Wrapped In Your Memory" plays...Just a real emotionally powerful ending IMHO.

That episode's ending scene and music has been hard to top for me. Another one I've always loved was the ending to "Rat Pack" with Adriana "ratting with a vengeance" to the F.B.I. after her friend ticks her off. "Undercover Of The Night" has always been one of my favorite Stone's songs and it was just a brilliant choice IMO. It's just one of those instances that I have to "crank up the volume" every time I watch that episode and the song begins with the faux machine guns rattling. Great stuff.

I really love the end of "Made in America":icon_biggrin:

The whole scene is perfect to me. When Carme walks through
the door "just a small town girl" and so on.

"Members only"

Tony being shot struggling to get to the phone.
"911 - where´s the emergency?"

"Remember when"

Junior sitting in a wheelchair and "Sing, sing, sing" playing. Heartbreaking.

"Watching too much television"

Tony sitting in his car, hearing "Oh girl", starting to cry before
driving to Zellmann, beating him with a belt while Irena doesn´t know
what to do.

The funniest one was for me Meadows giving Tony the singing fish.
I forgot which episode it was. Does anyone remember?

"For all debts public and private" for giving materialism the finger.

"University" I´ll kepp remembering it for one of the greatest episodes
ever closing with shots of the bada bing while "Living on a thin line"
by The Kinks plays against it.

"Long term parking" is certainly one of my favs too, the whole "miller´s crossing" feel to it as it is "rat pack" when "undercover of the night".

"Pie-O-My" Tony visiting the sick horse, smoking a cigar, the goat comes
in and Dean Martin sings "My Rifle, My Pony and Me".

Corrado wrote: The funniest one was for me Meadows giving Tony the singing fish.
I forgot which episode it was. Does anyone remember?
All good choices Corrado. The Christmas episode is "To Save Us All From Satan's Power", so that is the one where Meadow gives Tony the fish. (Also a vastly underrated episode if you ask me)

Just a handful of my faves-

Denial, Anger, Acceptance - Meadow on speed, Tony crying over being a Frankenstein and trying to hold a dismissive Carm's hand, Chrissy almost getting whacked all to that beautiful choral song.

For All Debts Public and Private - "Speak of the destruction" Chrissy putting the $20 on the fridge. Classic sopranos.

Eloise - Carm staring into the camera as Annie Lennox plays. Tony saying all the right things to wrong effect. Powerful ending on a somewhat uneven episode.

Cold Cuts - classic, classic Sopranos. If only it weren't for that odd choice of music at the end that feels a bit heavy handed, this ending would be damn perfect. "Sacre bleu, where is me mama!"

Stage 5 - "It's a bloody bloody..." The fade out from the bar in Brooklyn, Phil basically declaring himself as the leader, stepping up. Then that pan across the pics of all the different bosses. Leads into the baptism. Just love this ending.

madribub wrote: Stage 5 - "It's a bloody bloody..." The fade out from the bar in Brooklyn, Phil basically declaring himself as the leader, stepping up. Then that pan across the pics of all the different bosses. Leads into the baptism. Just love this ending.
Yeah "Evidently Chickentown" was a great choice. Oh, and not to be forgotten, Chris's kid's baptism with Tony and Chris sharing that ominous look and then an uncomfortable hug. God, doesn't get much better then that.

I agree with many of the previous postings but i would like to bring up the Season 5 Episode 4, "ALL HAPPY FAMILIES". Feech's end followed by Carmela coming home to the empty house. this is one of many sopranos episodes that just took my breath away and also the historic series finale specificly for that matter and somehow all of those endings being very unique in their own way. Also why season 5 is some of the best stuff david chase and company ever did.

jtkbigk77 wrote:I agree with many of the previous postings but i would like to bring up the Season 5 Episode 4, "ALL HAPPY FAMILIES". Feech's end followed by Carmela coming home to the empty house. this is one of many sopranos episodes that just took my breath away and also the historic series finale specificly for that matter and somehow all of those endings being very unique in their own way. Also why season 5 is some of the best stuff david chase and company ever did.
I agree with your observations. There are so many poetic endings, all different from each other in tone and content but united in their greatness. All Happy Families was certainly one of those, the despicable way AJ was treating Carmela in that episode, her steadfast love and desire for his best interests despite it all, and that sudden flashback at the door when she remembered chasing him as a 4 year-old down the driveway as he raced toward the street in his Bigwheel in a scene which bookended and echoed him screeching off back and forth in a car in that same driveway in the first scene of the episode.

No other series has come close to that kind of poetry, IMO.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Sopranos Voting Booth”