Favorite Episode of Season Six (a)

Members Only
Total votes: 1 (33%)
Join the Club
Mayham
The Fleshy Part of the Thigh (No votes)
Mr. & Mrs. John Sacrimoni Request (No votes)
Live Free or Die (No votes)
Luxury Lounge (No votes)
Johnny Cakes (No votes)
The Ride (No votes)
Moe n' Joe (No votes)
Cold Stones (No votes)
Kaisha (No votes)
Total votes: 3

Favorite Episode of Season 6a

With the show winding down and anticipating a final "playoff" between the favorites voted on for each season, we should get moving with the poll for season 6a. Eventually, I'll post one for 6b as well, but we'll probably have to find an alternate route to select those episodes for the brackets.

However, we can begin to select those for this portion of season 6 and with these polls now placed in the Voting Booth sub-forum, we should get plenty of votes over the next few weeks. As we've done with the other polls, vote on your favorite and then tell us why you picked the episode that you did.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Favorite Episode of Season 6a

I'm going out on a limb and say that I thought season 6a was tremendous, and I just think it's something that will be viewed more fondly with time.

Season 6a was a victim of unreal expectations after the longest hiatus in show history, and it took chances and completely toyed with the conventions of the show's history, namely by not having Tony's nemesis be some baddy out of the can, but his struggle with his purpose in life, and having the season de-crescendo from a tremendous climax, rather than build up to one at the end.

Join the Club is my pick from from 6a, and the best way I've heard it described is The Twilight Zone meets The Sopranos. The way that David Chase came with such a strange and unique new way to look at a character we've all come to know for so long was just astonishing, and everyone's performances were just sublime. And Edie Falco not winning an Emmy, and Oscar, and The Nobel Peace Prize for this performance was just something you shake your head at.

And this wasn't a dream sequence! Just ask David Chase yourself. :icon_razz:

I voted for Members Only. I really loved this episode and it was a great way to start the season. I have made it no secret that I did not think 6a was the best season ever. In fact it is possibly my least favorite. It certainly had its moments, and in viewing it repeatedly on dvd, I appreciate it quite a bit more then I did while viewing week-to-week. With that being said, there is quite a tone shift after Tony's shooting. That first episode, feels like you are in a completely different world then the world you return to in the next episode. The shock-ending was not my only reason for picking this episode, in fact it is probably the least-likely reason, as it was spoiled for me by a careless poster.

I loved Eugene's story, and his ultimate decision is heartbreaking. This episode contained alot of humor, drama, and such a feeling dread (that has now continued into 6b) it is hard not to feel uneasy. Just loved this episode, which made it all the more difficult to enjoy the episodes that followed.

Although, I would be lying if I didn't mention how amazing Join the Club was. Really, I feel like these episodes should be paired together. In fact the first three almost feel like a trilogy, and if I could I would put all of them together to vote for them.

AJColossal wrote:I'm going out on a limb and say that I thought season 6a was tremendous, and I just think it's something that will be viewed more fondly with time.

Season 6a was a victim of unreal expectations after the longest hiatus in show history, and it took chances and completely toyed with the conventions of the show's history, namely by not having Tony's nemesis be some baddy out of the can, but his struggle with his purpose in life, and having the season de-crescndo from a tremedous climax, rather than build up to one at the end.

Join the Club is my pick from from 6a, and the best way I've heard it described is The Twilight Zone meets The Sopranos. The way that David Chase came with such a strange and unique new way to look at a character we've all come to know for so long was just astonishing, and everyone's performances were just sublime. And Edie Falco not winning an Emmy, and Oscar, and The Nobel Peace Prize for this performance was just something you shake your head at.

And this wasn't a dream sequence! Just ask David Chase yourself. :icon_razz:

Second everything you just said. "Join the Club" was - by far - the most satisfying episode, in an overall very satisfying season. Each and every performance was brilliant, with no one topping Edie Falco. It was an odd experience for me, watching that episode. Seeing Tony laying in that hospital bed made me feel as if I was witnessing the death of an actual friend or relative of mine. And the closing scene, in which Tony/Kevin contemplates whether or not he should call home, with "When It's Cold I'd Like To Die" playing over the scene - Classic moment. It's an example of the perfect joining of performance and music to set an incrediblely potent mood.

I also agree with garthman's comment about the first three episodes feeling like a trilogy. I too tend to think of the first three episodes seperately from the rest of the season. For the first three weeks of 6a, we were treated to three amazing episodes, one right after the other. The rest of the season was great too, but it never got better than those first three episodes.

Universal Polymath wrote:Second everything you just said. "Join the Club" was - by far - the most satisfying episode, in an overall very satisfying season. Each and every performance was brilliant, with no one topping Edie Falco. It was an odd experience for me, watching that episode. Seeing Tony laying in that hospital bed made me feel as if I was witnessing the death of an actual friend or relative of mine. And the closing scene, in which Tony/Kevin contemplates whether or not he should call home, with "When It's Cold I'd Like To Die" playing over the scene - Classic moment. It's an example of the perfect joining of performance and music to set an incrediblely potent mood.

I also agree with garthman's comment about the first three episodes feeling like a trilogy. I too tend to think of the first three episodes seperately from the rest of the season. For the first three weeks of 6a, we were treated to three amazing episodes, one right after the other. The rest of the season was great too, but it never got better than those first three episodes.
I loved that ending as well UP. It is waaaay up there. Such a haunting, beautiful, tragic ending to an episode. What is amazing about that episode is even though Gandolfini is there as Finnerty...watching him convulse and shake in pain is STILL so worrysome and disturbing. I feel like with "dream episodes" (and yes I completely agree AJ, this is not a dream episode, but for the ease of this post, I will call it such) on other shows, you KNOW it is still that character and actor, and everything still fits the status quo, no matter how fantastic. This couldn't be further from the truth for Join the Club. Yes, it is the same actor (and it is up for debate if it is the same character ;-) ) but everything else is completely topsy turvey. Certainly not a standard "dream" (I know, I know, not a dream), even by Sopranos expectations.

"Mr. & Mrs. John Sacrimoni Request"

This episode was exciting and dramatic. From the way the Marshalls handled Johnny Sac, to the security at the doors, Tony passing out. You also have a plot line for the Arab men but it kinda dangles after this. The way Johnny and Tony sit at the "old folks" table to talk about business to get away from the Feds. It is funny, sad, happy, bittersweet, and one of the most moving episodes of the season in my opinion.

I too liked 6A better when not having to wait week-to-week to watch it. I do think that the long hiatus before the season did bring unrealistic expectations. I think once 6B is over this season (as a whole) will go down as a great one like all of the others.

5 episodes (I know I know we're only supposed to pick 1) stood out to me this season.

Members Only-Action packed first ep.

Mr and Mrs. Sacramoni's Request: Tony finally back on the street after a 3 episode recovery was refreshing. Any ep. gets better with the addition of Johnny Sac.

Moe and Joe- I liked Vito's frustration as he tried to work a normal job. gruesome whacking by Vito. Johnny Sac works deals with Tony from the can. Bobby gets a mansion and gained status.

Kaisha- It was either this ep. or THe Ride for my favorite. I loved the Chris/Julianna scenes. It brought back those heart to hearts that we had missed since Ade. I also liked the sitdown at Little Carmines and the hospital visit by Tony. Whole episode was good. Maybe the best all around of 6A.

The Ride- I ended up voting for this, but as I said it was a close one between this and Kaisha. Obviously Chris getting married and having a kid on the way was a big development. The old school heist with Tony was entertaining. I liked how they finally showed us the scene leading up to Ade's demise. Christopher relapses (the beginning of the end for him in the same episode that he finds out about his kid). I also liked the brief scuffle between Bobby and Paulie. It was good to see Bobby finally show some balls.

I don't think you go wrong with any of these episodes.

I wound up going with "Join the Club". Mainly, it was a race between the first three episodes. I'm a sucker for symbolism and dream sequences, so "Join the Club" and "Mayham" won out over "Members Only".

I had a hell of a hard time picking between these two - on the one hand, "Mayham" had the incredible scene outside the house with Steve Buscemi and a lot of entertaining goings-on with all the guys in the crew. "Join the Club" was docked a few points for the "mummy head" line, but the ending swept me away when I first saw it, not to mention the "American Girl" scene. Sometimes, the music goes a long way.

This one took some thought, but I ended up voting for Members Only. It's just a great episode all around, especially that opening sequence. Junior was great in this episode too. "I had a banana in there!" My first instinct was to vote for Join The Club, but I remember watching it for the first time and thinking "wtf?" It does have some great scenes though and is a close sceond.

Return to “Sopranos Voting Booth”