How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode Review and General Comments

FYI, for those who dig the continuity, the federal attorney, if I remember it right, who chastised the local official for making a big case out of a weapons charge has actually showed up before in The Sopranos. In "The Rat Pack" of Season Five, he is again chastising the FBI over there sluggish leads (in this case, reviewing "Blackjack" Maserone's wire replay. He's the same bad actor, which makes me wonder if he is known for something in the real world.

CCC out.

I am surprised with how many people are mentioning that this episode bored them. I was not bored in the least. The closest thing to being "bored", was when I was waiting for something to happen during the monopoly game, when the tension was just killing me. I can see why some were dissappointed with the lack of supporting characters, but everything else was so spot on. Furthermore this episode, was meant to really delve into these 4 characters' psyches, it simply would be impossible to include a larger cast AND have such in-depth, psychological depth explored.

Been reading all the comments this week and it has really been great! I could not have been more happy with the first episode of this final season. Basically, I just wanna say I am ecstatic to see the forums on fire again, and there is NOTHING better than knowing I get to watch another new episode of the Sopranos this Sunday.

garthman00 wrote:I am surprised with how many people are mentioning that this episode bored them.
My guess is that these people are only a few people (with many user names?). Most of them had only postings like "sucked, boring" nothing else. I don't have anything against other opinions, but "sucked" in my understanding is an upgrading for an episode, because these people have nothing to explain why this episode sucked. I don't want to say that every slow pace episode is a masterpiece.
But one problem in the todays world is, that it is a fast world.... fast cars, fast computers, fast edited tv spots, your boss says "faster, faster" everything is fast....superficial, gets faster and more superficial. So, some (many?) people can not follow a story anymore, which is build up in slow pace to a climax. They can not see the details hidden by the author here and in other good shows or movies of such a kind. It bores them, because they can not concentrate on good slow pace story telling. They start to get fidgety.. "Where are the atom bombs, I don't see any terrorists...If I want to hear blah, blah, then I can listen to my wife.."

But in my impression 80/90% of the people liked the episode. I was impressed that so much people liked this episode. Because it was at slow pace, I thought most of the viewers would not like it.

In my opinion it was a fantastic episode, too. Very good acting, writing. Very cinematic.

CaliberCutChops wrote:FYI, for those who dig the continuity, the federal attorney, if I remember it right, who chastised the local official for making a big case out of a weapons charge has actually showed up before in The Sopranos. In "The Rat Pack" of Season Five, he is again chastising the FBI over there sluggish leads (in this case, reviewing "Blackjack" Maserone's wire replay. He's the same bad actor, which makes me wonder if he is known for something in the real world.

CCC out.

And the actor who played the D.A. he chastised also played the prosecuting attorney in Junior's trial in season four (at least 'Eloise'). The actor's name is Dan Castleman and the character is D.A. Castleman.
-Vince

Check out The Most Intelligent and Perceptive Sopranos Book Ever! :icon_biggrin:

supervince wrote:And the actor who played the D.A. he chastised also played the prosecuting attorney in Junior's trial in season four (at least 'Eloise'). The actor's name is Dan Castleman and the character is D.A. Castleman.
I know the show actually uses a district attorney (from NY state, I believe) in an advisory capacity, and I think I recall reading that he did a cameo or two as an attorney in a couple of the episodes. I want to say that he's one and the same as this guy, but I'm not certain.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

garthman00 wrote:I am surprised with how many people are mentioning that this episode bored them. I was not bored in the least. The closest thing to being "bored", was when I was waiting for something to happen during the monopoly game, when the tension was just killing me. I can see why some were dissappointed with the lack of supporting characters, but everything else was so spot on. Furthermore this episode, was meant to really delve into these 4 characters' psyches, it simply would be impossible to include a larger cast AND have such in-depth, psychological depth explored.
I'm not surprised at all. There is very clearly a big segment of The Sopranos audience who could care less about any of the subtle layers and details the show provides, and want to see huge plot developments ALL THE TIME.

Look at the ratings. The audience has now become less than half of what it once was in it's prime. I really think the show became too demanding from a commitment standpoint. To me, the show is a work of art, but most people don't want to engage in art in the form of a TV show. And I can understand that as well.

What I don't understand are the people who continue to watch, hoping the show will become something it completely is not. Why these people continue to watch a show that endlessly bores or disappoints them is beyond me.

Return to “Episode 6.13: Soprano Home Movies”