Re: Favorite Quotes from 'The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti

Hurrah!! At last, somebody who sees Tony Soprano for the depraved evil he really is. People say things like " that Ritchie, he's a creep" or " Phil Leotardo, jesus what a hard case", things like that. But guess what, who personally has killed more people than anyone else on the show? Anyone? Well, it's Tony. By a long chalk. Something like seven murders at least that I can think of off-hand. But of course he likes ducks, horses and small dogs so that's ok. And he takes care of his children! Jeez, what a guy! Welcome to the site.

dsweeney wrote:Hurrah!! At last, somebody who sees Tony Soprano for the depraved evil he really is. People say things like " that Ritchie, he's a creep" or " Phil Leotardo, jesus what a hard case", things like that. But guess what, who personally has killed more people than anyone else on the show? Anyone? Well, it's Tony. By a long chalk. Something like seven murders at least that I can think of off-hand. But of course he likes ducks, horses and small dogs so that's ok. And he takes care of his children! Jeez, what a guy! Welcome to the site.
Please point to one post on this site that implies that Tony's evil deeds or sociopathy are excused because he "likes ducks and horses". And if you can't, then stop infusing your posts with inflammatory rhetoric. I'm getting tired of asking you nicely.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

niceguy11 wrote:Dr Melfi's Boyfriend speaking of Tony

"The man's a criminal Jennifer, and after a while finally ,you're going to get beyond
psychotherapy with it's cheesy moral relativism, finally you're going to get to good and evil ,and he's evil"

To me one of the sanest things I have heard on the Sopranos ever

i agree with you. i think the difference some of us have is that once we are acknowledging evil- what is our response to it? Melfi came to the place in her life where she could walk away from being in what eventually may have become a possibly co-dependant, enabling professional therapist-patient relationship with Tony. i still don't like how she handled it, but still she at least confronted the issue within herself and took some sort of stand with it.

For me, i can live with the contradiction of knowing Tony is, or can be at times, evil; and at the same time, try to forgive and 'love him' anyway. Doesn't mean i don't see the evil, i just have a different response to it than some other posters here. i don't feel personally responsible for converting others to my position, or hating them for theirs; and i don't feel a need to mete out Tony's punishment. i don't feel glee in the thought that he should get his just rewards in a particular kind of death.

i have sorrow for his bad choices and those that are hurt. i also have joy for his good choices and those he has loved and helped.

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Please point to one post on this site that implies that Tony's evil deeds or sociopathy are excused because he "likes ducks and horses". And if you can't, then stop infusing your posts with inflammatory rhetoric. I'm getting tired of asking you nicely.
Fly, I am simply pointing out that a lot of viewers seem to gloss over the fact that Tony is a career criminal, a multiple murderer and a sociopath. A cheating husband, a racist and somewhat homophobe. Oh and in case I forget, a fat greedy bastard.

Maybe this is the point though , that the viewer, like Melfi to at least SOME degree, is somehow charmed by him. Taken in by him. If this was Chase's intent then he succeeded in spades. But I find it strange for instance that not many people like Christopher but find things in Tony they can like. What did Ritchie do, apart from make Beansie a cripple ? Did he murder anybody ? No. As a person is Phil any worse than Tony ? No, he isn't.

Because Tony is broken up about Pie people feel he is at some level a good person. Because he is so upset over Tracee people think he's a good guy really. They forget though how he had Adriana killed like an animal in the woods. Melfi finally realises this is all part of his profile as a sociopath. "The crocodile tears" etc. I ,for one, am not taken in by Tony Soprano's charms. That's all I was saying.

dsweeney wrote:Fly, I am simply pointing out that a lot of viewers seem to gloss over the fact that Tony is a career criminal, a multiple murderer and a sociopath. A cheating husband, a racist and somewhat homophobe. Oh and in case I forget, a fat greedy bastard.

Maybe this is the point though , that the viewer, like Melfi to at least SOME degree, is somehow charmed by him. Taken in by him. If this was Chase's intent then he succeeded in spades. But I find it strange for instance that not many people like Christopher but find things in Tony they can like. What did Ritchie do, apart from make Beansie a cripple ? Did he murder anybody ? No. As a person is Phil any worse than Tony ? No, he isn't.

Because Tony is broken up about Pie people feel he is at some level a good person. Because he is so upset over Tracee people think he's a good guy really. They forget though how he had Adriana killed like an animal in the woods. Melfi finally realises this is all part of his profile as a sociopath. "The crocodile tears" etc. I ,for one, am not taken in by Tony Soprano's charms. That's all I was saying.
I know exactly what you were saying and why. It required no explication with another round of your passive/aggressive, half/not really apologies. Your initial hyperbole was extremely inflammatory and unfair, a complete mischaracterization of what you might term the Tony "apologists" really believe and have expressed. If you can't understand the difference between what you stated and what Bada just wrote, that's your problem. If you can't express that misunderstanding in a less provocative way, a way that doesn't mock those who hold a different view, then you will not be posting at this forum much longer.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

well, i'm not sure what to say- i guess thank you Fly, for doing the right thing. dsweeney's informative posts will be missed, but the aggravation he caused outweighs the good, and imo was undermining and detracting from the spirit of genuine fellowship that you created here. i was starting to feel unsafe or unwelcome in my own community so to speak.

For some reason lately, i have been having such a hard time at work for fear of losing my job in this economy, and fear that my bosses aren't backing me up or looking out for me- just not feeling supported in a personal way. Not feeling safe there either. i came home just weary of it, and almost didn't log on to Chase Lounge because i didn't want to be insulted one more time today in the way that some posters have in the past...- and then i read all that has transpired today. i have no happiness or glee whatsoever that dsweeney got whacked- unlike another time. i feel numb and almost surprised that you actually took him on and told it exactly like it is. For some reason i feel grateful and relieved, and i hope i haven't made you feel uncomfortable by my saying so. Today i realized i really need a true friend right now in my life, and today it feels like i have one.

Return to “Episode 1.08: The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti”