Paulie gave order to kill Tony.

Tony was killed because of Polly. This was pointed to me by Vsevolod Vorotintsev and i would like to share it with you.

1. Chase himself said: "The walrus was Paulie". This is from Beatles Glass Onion. "The Walrus was Paul". John Lennon wrote it pointing to Lewis Carrol's poem "Walrus and the carpenter" where walrus is a traitor. In the Beatles song it is pointing to the fact that band was broke because of Paul Maccartney. Chase gave us a clue that Tony was killed by Paulies order.

2. When Chris was shot in second season he said that Mikey Palmisy in hell said to him: tell Tony and Paulie three o'clock. Tony was shot from a three o'clock direction. When Paulie woke up at three o'clock at night in the house of his goomar there was ringing of the bells.

3. In Funhouse Tony had a dream where Sylvio told him: Our true enemy has yet to reveal himself. After that he sees in binocular that he kills Paulie and black screen appears for a few seconds. This dream is similar to Testdream where Tony B kills Phill Leotardo. In reality it is Phill who basically gave order to kill Tony B. So Funhouse dream pointed to Tony that Paulie is his true enemy.

4. After Paulie found out that Nucci is not his mother he says to Tony: I'm not who i am.

5. In Italy Paulie greets David Chase: Commendatory! But Chase didn't even respond to him.

6. In Remember when Tony and Paulie drive in the car. And camera shows us a road sign:HITCHHIKERS MAY BE ESCAPING INMATES. Than camera shows us Tony and Paulie. It is Paulie who served a little time in one of the previous seasons.

7. Paulie served time because of a gun that police found in his car. In Made in America Tonys councelor tells him that a gun accusation is always in his head. Also there was a gun accusation for Tony but we know that case was dead. Subconscious tells councelor that danger for Tony will be connected to a gun accusation.

8. Paulie brings to Satrialles barber scissors. In the previous episode Phills crew is discussing Tonys murder in the Beauty salon.

9. In that beauty salon they discuss who they need to kill. On of the guys says Paulie Gultiery, who is one of the captains but Butch sais No. And tells Bobby Baccala instead. Paulie has already flipped.

10. In Remember when Paulie sees a dream. He saw Pussy in his kitchen. But look closer: this is Pussys head with Tonys body. Subconscious tells Paulie that Tony may rat him out to FBI. After that in the airport Paulie saw that Tony has a meeting with FBI.

11. In the last episode Paulie says to Tony about the price of cauliflower: 3.99. for lb. Remember Funhouse? Fish Pussy tells Tony that the price of fish is 4 dollars for lb. and that his weight is 8 lb. 8 х 4 = 32. This is 30 silversmiths of Judas.

12. In the last episode when Paulie doesn't want to accept Carlos crew. Tony says: i'll give it to Patsy. Looks how scared Paulie becomes! He agrees because if Patsy becomes in charge he could tell Tony about Paulies betrayal.

13. Paulie also gets scared when Butch says to Tony: You do what you gotta do. and when Walden loudly puts his gun on table in their safehouse.

14. Paulie snitched Vito out to Phill.

15. Paulie sees Phills Caddillac on the petrol station but doesn't say hothing.

16. Paulie and Patsy organise the hit on ukrainians instead of Phill. If Murmur didn's see that in newspapers Tony would have been killed in Bing by Patsy Parisi.
Tony fills Patsys wineglass in the last episode like Patsy is the boss. Patsys wife with her two fingers on the plate is pointing 3 o'clock direction.

17. On the Lyvias funeral after Pussy is seen in the mirror reflection, we see Paulie.

18. White shoes on Bert Gervasy who flipped to New York. In Remember when we see Paulie packing a couple of pairs of white shoes in his suitcase. And later Tony sais: Maybe I am waiting another shoe to drop?

19. Paulie also knew that joke about Jinny which he told to Johnny Sack will turn bad for him after the yacht scene in Remember when.

20. This is Paulie who told about every profite deal of his family to New York

21. Paulie WALLnuts. His father name was RUSS. WALLRUS!

Re: Paulie gave order to kill Tony.

After re-watching the series..I agree 100% that Paulie either ordered the killing of Tony or definitely knew Tony was going to be "taken out."

Your reason #8 caught my attention on the re-watch.

#8 Paulie brings to Satrialles barber scissors. In the previous episode Phills crew is discussing Tonys murder in the Beauty salon

I noticed Paulie showing up with the scissors too.

Although, I do not believe Paulie gave the order..Paulie truly embraced the lifestyle. And a true soldier would never "whack" a boss.

Most likely he was called to a meeting with the leaders of NY to resolve the war. If NY could work with anyone, it would be Paulie. If NY gave the order that Tony had to go, Paulie would follow their direction.

Billyv wrote:I don't see enough evidence or coherent argument to support the validity of such speculation. It's possible that Paulie could have some knowledge or involvement but I wish posters would provide much more elaboration and connection of relevant detail.
There are plenty of reasons which i gave. Besides Chase himself said: The walrus was Paul. What else do you need?

soprano.toni wrote:There are plenty of reasons which i gave. Besides Chase himself said: The walrus was Paul. What else do you need?
Hi. The 21 reasons you listed, in my personal opinion, do not provide strong conclusive evidence or, in some cases, even strong clues to support your claim. I see some of them as possible hints, others as somewhat of a stretch to try to build a case. The argument is not tied together in explanation; it's only a list of observations.
Again, this is my opinion. Your idea and assertion may be right, but I don't believe there's enough there to create a substantial argument of probable fact.

For example, regarding the barber scissors Paulie brings and the possible or probable connection to Butchie's beauty salon - The New Jersey and New York families often did business together and shared joint ventures and concerns. After meeting and settling the "war", other interactions would naturally follow to resume, wrap-up and begin various business. Paulie, now apparently the underboss, would likely have responsibilities including minor meetings with Butchie or his soldiers and could easily aquire the scissors and other contraband without it having anything to do with plotting against Tony but rather as a normal sideline to regular business-as-usual.

As for the alleged comment by Chase that the walrus is Paulie and your subsequent comments and direct question to me, I need a heck of a lot more.
So... did Paul McCartney supposedly order the hit on John Lennon??

Billyv wrote:Hi. The 21 reasons you listed, in my personal opinion, do not provide strong conclusive evidence or, in some cases, even strong clues to support your claim. I see some of them as possible hints, others as somewhat of a stretch to try to build a case. The argument is not tied together in explanation; it's only a list of observations.
Again, this is my opinion. Your idea and assertion may be right, but I don't believe there's enough there to create a substantial argument of probable fact.

For example, regarding the barber scissors Paulie brings and the possible or probable connection to Butchie's beauty salon - The New Jersey and New York families often did business together and shared joint ventures and concerns. After meeting and settling the "war", other interactions would naturally follow to resume, wrap-up and begin various business. Paulie, now apparently the underboss, would likely have responsibilities including minor meetings with Butchie or his soldiers and could easily aquire the scissors and other contraband without it having anything to do with plotting against Tony but rather as a normal sideline to regular business-as-usual.

As for the alleged comment by Chase that the walrus is Paulie and your subsequent comments and direct question to me, I need a heck of a lot more.
So... did Paul McCartney supposedly order the hit on John Lennon??
In the Beatles song it is pointing to the fact that band was broke because of Paul Maccartney. You didn't read reasons closely. And Chase said about walrus specifically for people to understand not because he likes cheap talk.

soprano.toni wrote:In the Beatles song it is pointing to the fact that band was broke because of Paul Maccartney. You didn't read reasons closely. And Chase said about walrus specifically for people to understand not because he likes cheap talk.
John Lennon sang "Here's another clue for you all, the walrus is Paul" as a reference to the conspiracy theory popular at that time that Paul McCartney was dead and had been replaced in some various capacities by someone posing as Paul. The song was written and recorded before the Beatles broke up and was not in any way connected to it.
You cite no source or context for the alleged quote of Chase or anything to support your claim of his intention in saying that. If he did say and mean what you interpret, the reasoning seems flawed.

[quote="soprano.toni"]Tony was killed because of Polly. This was pointed to me by Vsevolod Vorotintsev and i would like to share it with you.

10. In Remember when Paulie sees a dream. He saw Pussy in his kitchen. But look closer: this is Pussys head with Tonys body. Subconscious tells Paulie that Tony may rat him out to FBI. After that in the airport Paulie saw that Tony has a meeting with FBI.

15. Paulie sees Phills Caddillac on the petrol station but doesn't say hothing.] end quote.

I looked at the scene where you claim that it is Pussy's head on Tony's body and I don't believe that is what is shown or even possibly being shown. It is Pussy's (Vincent Pastore's) head and body.

I carefully reviewed the scene in Made in America that I believe is the one in which you claim in #15 that Paulie sees Phil's Cadillac. This is false - there is no cadillac even resembling Phil's when Paulie is seen passing the gas station
nor is there any other scene at any relevant point where this may have occured.

In further regard to Paulie having barber scissors and my previously stated point, a couple scenes later, Paulie phones Tony from the Bing where he was suppossed to meet Patsy and directly mentions to Tony that he's supposed to be going on to meet with Butchie to "tidy-up some business", so there is nothing neccessarily unusual or suspect in him having interactions with New York.

Other line items listed in support of the thread's contention do not stand alone as clues or evidence as having any connection to the theory other than as an attempt to stretch and add strength to fit your desired conclusion.
In all, "reasons" 1 thru 21 just don't add up to demonstrate that "Paulie ordered the hit", or even that Chase meant to indicate that he probably did.
At best, Paulie can be included on a long list of possible suspects, none of whom Chase or the work chose or identifies.

Actually the song "Glass Onion" appeared BEFORE the Paul is Dead rumors. Look it up on wiki if you don't believe me. Just saying, because I think this thread is actually really onto something. During a re watch it was obvious that of all the characters we see last through the whole series, Paulie is the one most tormented at times by decisions Tony makes against him, like in the Richie safe heist case for example. You can sense the growing contempt in his character as the seasons progress towards the end. I actually think Chase was giving us a big clue, although making it look tongue in cheek, that Paulie Walnuts was a kind of hidden enemy within the family. They really develop that betrayal in his character.
You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”