Re: White Shoes

I took it as another clever joke from DC...it was only in the episode after Memorial Day that characters started wearing white shoes.

According to fashion mavens, you only wear white shoes after Memorial Day and before Labor Day. Wearing white shoes before Memorial Day is a terrible fashion faux-pas. Our boys put on their summer whites as soon as fashion dictated.

JoeyBagadonuts wrote:Paulie packed a few pairs of white shoes in his suitcase for the trip to Florida in Remember When.

If I remember correctly, Paulie's shoe collection consists almost entirely of the same model of white shoes. A vague hint to his I-don't-give-a-f***-about-anything lifestyle.

As we see in Paulie's recent character, so is his line of white shoes getting worn down... becoming "softer".

KrusteH wrote:If I remember correctly, Paulie's shoe collection consists almost entirely of the same model of white shoes. A vague hint to his I-don't-give-a-f***-about-anything lifestyle.

As we see in Paulie's recent character, so is his line of white shoes getting worn down... becoming "softer".
I view this as a metaphor for all the times Paulie has eluded death. Ties in beautifully with the cat, I think: like Junior, he has nine lives.

In "All Happy Families" Feech is telling a story about fucking some prostitute with his foot ("I got my shoe in her snatch...") at the executive card game when Dr. Fried says, "I don't know where this story is going, but I guess we should be grateful he wasn't wearing white bucks".

Not death or anything, just another mention of white shoes.
What violin?!

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”