Re: Official Complete Sopranos Box Set Thread

Garth wrote:When sending, make sure to get insurance, because even if they do, then you can buy a brand new set. Sure it is a couple bucks, but in the long run....it'd be worth it
Yeah. I know to purchase insurance. I don't see how I can buy a new set if seven discs are lost because the value of each disc is around $12.12 for an unopened set. Since mine has been opened, the value drops drastically.

I do not know if I should use cd sleeves to put the discs in or use some of my jewel cases.
badabellisima wrote:Geez- for that kind of money, i can't believe they would have any scratched disks at all.--what a lot of trouble for you to deal with! i think i'll just get it locally at Costco, where they take just about anything back no questions asked.
That's the problem with large box sets. The chances of getting scratched discs is quite high. Most of the time it's because of shipping. My box set was purchased at Best Buy, in-store. It isn't too late for me to exchange it for a new set but chances are that there will still be scratched discs. And if there are no scratched discs, some could still be defective, which is a pain in the ass because the only way for me to find out is by watching the entire series again, which I do not want to do until a year or more down the road.

JL, that sucks big time. I'm wondering at this point if you'd be better off making them send you a whole new set. I HATE this kind of poor quality control in any product but especially one you're ordering through the mail. Returns get to be very time-consuming and expensive.

Here's hoping they get it right next time!
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:JL, that sucks big time. I'm wondering at this point if you'd be better off making them send you a whole new set. I HATE this kind of poor quality control in any product but especially one you're ordering through the mail. Returns get to be very time-consuming and expensive.

Here's hoping they get it right next time!
I really don't think they will give me a whole new set. If they don't get it right the next time I don't know what I am going to do. The scratches on the four discs did not happen because of shipping. The discs were packed in very tight. I think they just happened to find some discs others sent in and just gave me those. One disc looked like someone took sand paper to it. The scratches were bundled together measuring one inch thick.

This experience has not been great at all. I am contemplating never buying a large box set again, no matter how much I love the new Battlestar Galactica and The Shield.

I am having more problems now. This problem is happening when I view the discs on computers.

So I put in a disc that has four episodes, which we shall call episodes A, B, C, and D. I open the DVD with Media Player Classic. I navigate to the episode index and choose episode A. It plays fine. Episode B does as well. However, when I choose episodes C and D, episode A plays. This also happens with discs that have three episodes (episodes A and B play fine but when you choose episode C, episode A plays). I am having the same problem when I use VLC Media Player.

At first I thought the problem was with the DVD. So I played the disc on a DVD player connected to a television and the problem doesn't happen. I then opened the disc with WinDVD and the problem doesn't happen either. I also tried the disc on another computer and the problem persists.

I am thinking the problem is with the software I use but that doesn't explain why it is happening now and not weeks ago.

There's a thread on Amazon with someone saying they are having the same problem.

Ok. I have an update on my discs.

The post above this one states that I was having problems viewing discs. The problem described happens when I skip the FBI Warning and HBO Video logo and go straight to the DVD menu. Everything is fine when I let it play through. Hilarious.

Now, about the 4 scratched replacement discs I sent back after receiving them. I shipped them out on January 30, 2009. I have called twice since then and they still have not shipped the replacements. This type of quality control makes me want to never do business with HBO again. That will probably happen anyway because there isn't another show on HBO that I find worth purchasing.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 09DECF0F65

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I have searched extensively and I did not find any info. It's a pretty strange one - let me explain:

I purchased this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sopranos-HBO-Co ... 140&sr=1-1

just before Christmas. Me and the wife have been working our way through and have just recently reached season 5.

Now, this is where is gets weird - it 'looks' cheap. Seasons 1-4 and both parts of season 6 'look' like the sopranos if you get my meaning. In every other season, the cinematography and production make it look like it was shot like a movie.

The season 5 DVD looks like any other generic TV show. 'Cloudy' is the best adjective I can use to describe what it looks like on my TV. (I actually had the same problem with the final season of OZ.) Something has been lost in the transition to DVD here, but it's not a problem with the stand-alone season 5 box-set.

Has anyone got any experience with this? It's ruining my enjoyment of season 5.

I'll try to explain it better if no-one understands what i'm trying to say.....

Return to “The Kitchen Sink”