Re: How do we Keep This Site Going After the Finale?

Well, that makes three of us. I've been so busy I hadn't made time to inquire if others are experiencing this, but the same thing has been happening to me. At first I thought it was some messup in the cache of my browser, but I've repeatedly cleared it and it makes no difference.

I'm tempted to say this has to be a problem with my hosting service. But I've been doing a lot of work lately getting a website ready at last for my video/film production business and I've had none of these kinds of problems with page loads in connection with that. Still, I will file a trouble ticket with my host.

Thanks to both of you for pointing out the problem.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Okay, hopefully I've traced the problem to a too restrictive "throttle policy" set for the site. I've relaxed those restrictions and that should solve the problem. I didn't experience any failures in randomly clicking around at a pretty good pace. But please keep me informed if you guys (or anyone else) continues to experience issues. Thanks again.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Okay, hopefully I've traced the problem to a too restrictive "throttle policy" set for the site. I've relaxed those restrictions and that should solve the problem. I didn't experience any failures in randomly clicking around at a pretty good pace. But please keep me informed if you guys (or anyone else) continues to experience issues. Thanks again.
I still get the problem, but going back and trying again, three times, finally lets me post. They say third time's the charm ;)

Well, after a brief honeymoon in which it seemed things were solved, I'm getting it too. This is after spending nearly an hour in a chat support with my hosting service and me expressing grave doubt (at first) at his diagnosis that the "throttle" policy was the culprit. I hadn't changed a single host setting since the site was built, and that meant the same policy was in place the night of the finale, when over 1700 users were simultaneously accessing the site, and, other than modestly delayed page loads, there were no ill effects.

Something's amiss, but I have no idea what, and I'm so slammed right now trying to finish a couple of different projects that I don't know when I can take the time to get someone from my hosting service to track down the issue. I'm not experiencing anything like this at the site I'm building, and they are both hosted with the same company, albeit on different servers.

I have a creeping feeling that I'm either going to have to move to another host or change/update my forum software, and none of those are options that, timewise, I'm anxious to undertake.:mad:

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Billyv, post away. You will be made yet!:icon_mrgreen:

You are quite right in terms of my own lack of posting the last few years. The show will always occupy an exalted and special place in my heart because of all it meant to me. But my life has changed immensely since 2007 (and the show had a LOT to do with preparing me to make those changes.) My priorities are now on personal growth and trying to figure out what the intensity of the past few years has been leading me towards in this next phase of my life.

One of the big changes is a desire to transcend the very negativity, hopelessness, and cynicism that once so attracted me to The Sopranos. The pronounced pessimism that marked Tony and so many of the characters, while it resonated very much with my upbringing and world view throughout most of my life, I now find highly oppressive, and that's one of the reasons I don't really want to watch the show these days.

Right now I'm heavily immersed in creating a website (finally, after years of putting it off) for my film/video production enterprise. There is a small, odd Sopranos tie-in to that enterprise that I intend to "advertise" here when the site is ready to go public. I think it's something all those die hards that still check in here will enjoy. At least I hope so.:icon_smile:
Fly:
It's great to know that you are experiencing personal growth and are productively engaged, post-Sopranos.
Although the characters weren't the most deserving examples of human beings, I loved their humanity and rarely rooted for their punishment. I'm glad you, at least, emerged unscathed and with some positive impetus.
You've given and contributed so much here to the enjoyment and intellectual stimulation of others that there's no reason to expect or request for you to do more. Like David Chase and other great creators it's been time for you to move on, though its wonderful that you still monitor the site, attend to issues, and take the time to respond and comment.
Anytime I drop by, there are always a few guests taking a look.

As for the minor problems some have experienced navigating the site, I don't encounter it constantly but sometimes find quicker success with double-clicking the links. As Sopranology notes, a little persistence is the key, and the reading and experiences here are well worth the effort. No worries; if it was perfect it wouldn't accurately reflect Tony or his world:icon_smile:

Re: Problems Loading the Site

I copied all the posts from another thread that mentioned the difficulties I and many have had loading the site in recent months to this new thread. I'd spent time in tech support with my hosting service months ago trying to sort it out and was told that changing a certain setting in my host admin panel would solve the issue. It ultimately did not, and the tech support there can't offer me much else.

The most infuriating part of the problem for me has been the inconsistency. It's not like it always behaves badly. Often I experience no problems at all and the site loads swiftly and completely on first try, like it always did. In addition, I've done extensive work on another website since last fall that is hosted by the same company on the same plan and I don't experience any of these problems there. That's a wordpress site, not a vBulletin forum site, and so my best guess is that this forum software -- which has not been updated in 7 years because it requires an expensive yearly subscription to do so -- has developed a fickle, latent incompatibility with some aspect of the host infrastructure as the latter has continued to be upgraded and developed while the forum software has not.

My hosting plan comes due for renewal in about a month, and I have to make a decision about whether to move to a different host. I really, really don't want to do that because it means a lot of work, not only for this site but for my other sites on the same plan. But if the problem actually IS the fault of the host, I don't really want to renew for another two years and have the problems here continue. I strongly suspect that if I transfer this site to another (free) forum software solution that will be eligible for free upgrades and updates that the issue will go away, and that's whether it's hosted here or elsewhere. That also will require a good amount of work but not as much as moving to a new host altogether.

The last irony is that as the renewal date approached and these issues started creeping to mind, the site has performed for me flawlessly, It's been about two weeks since I got the last redirect to some placeholding ad site when I hit the link, and the site seems to load pretty swiftly and reliably. So I would like others to monitor their experiences over the next few weeks and report them here, especially if you get any of the same old problems of the site not loading and taking you to an external ad page. It will help me make a decision about whether to renew with my existing host or just commit to changing forum software when I get the time. If I change hosts, especially, you can expect significant down time to the site.

Thanks in advance for all input.

Return to “Request a Sitdown (Pre-2016)”