Re: How do we Keep This Site Going After the Finale?

Just like any great work of art, book or movie, it's only once you've seen the entire work that you can then contemplate it and start to think of things early on that seem interesting or different in light of the whole piece.

This process is just now beginning with the Sopranos. Eventually here soon, the fuss and to-do about the ending will die down and hopefully there will be some engaging threads about the show as a whole....things that felt one way in season 5 or the beginning of season 6 might feel completely dif now. Or rather, can be re-evaluated as part of the whole in a way they could not before.

There's as much to discuss here as there is in any lit class on Madame Bovary or Chaucer....or at least i think so. I hope discussion here continues after the interest in how it ended fades.

The idea of keeping this going is very intriguing and is completely endorsed by me. I like the idea of re-viewing and re-discussing the series.

We should go about it with a "hindsight is 20-20" attitude. We can call it "Remedial Tony - What I missed the first time"
bobC
---

some will win, some will lose,
some were born to sing the blues,
the movie never ends,
it goes on and on and on and on........

I also like this idea, and hope we carry through with it. I think this combined with our Sweet Sixteen polls will keep some more faithful viewers and boarders around. Sure, we might not have hundreds of posters anymore, but in all honesty, that is kind of a daunting task to read, as is. I almost would prefer a smaller number, but concise, well thought out posts (and of course, posters)

Not having anything to watch this Sunday night was a terribly depressing reality to confront. So, I popped in the first three episodes of Season 4. What a revelation! Even though I knew the fate of every character and I knew how the series ultimately concluded, the episodes were even more enjoyable because I could now look to the little things in each episode that would ultimately bring us to the end.

As an example, in the episode "The Weight", focusing on the disparaging joke Ralph told about Ginny Sac, Ralph called Johnny Sac to try to smooth the matter out and Johnny, having none of it, yells at Ralph on the phone: "I should have let Tony cut your head off last year!" Knowing that ultimately Tony does exactly that makes such a scene even more precious.

The bits and pieces that shape the lives of the Sopranos characters have crystalized with the benefit of hindsight and it is a very agreeable experience to revisit seasons past from our current vantage point.

I'll start coordinating the re-viewing schedule in the next week or two. So everyone who wishes to join in the "sentimental journey", make sure you have your season one discs purchased or rented soon! :icon_mrgreen:

billymac wrote:As an example, in the episode "The Weight", focusing on the disparaging joke Ralph told about Ginny Sac, Ralph called Johnny Sac to try to smooth the matter out and Johnny, having none of it, yells at Ralph on the phone: "I should have let Tony cut your head off last year!" Knowing that ultimately Tony does exactly that makes such a scene even more precious.
Wow, nice catch! I guess this one has always slipped by me - And I have seen "The Weight" many, many times (as I have every episode). That clever David Chase! Thanks for giving me this one.

I think it's about time for an eintre series rewatch, and hope the board-wide discussion from the begininng starts soon. It seems like this site is still going very strong at the moment, just discussing the finale (or final scene, in particular), and I expect that to go on for at least another week.

Return to “Request a Sitdown (Pre-2016)”