Re: The New Lounge

Hi Fly and thanks for getting us back on track! I seem to be having trouble reading the white font against the grey background-- is this how its supposed to look or is there something i need to do to change the contrast? Sorry if it seems critical- it may just be my own visual issues i need to adjust my computer for or get some kind of new glasses!...

FOMW, the new site is great.! I sure hope some of the regulars will find there way here before too much time passes so we can continue our discussions in anticipation for next February? March?

badabellisima, I too had a little difficulty with the white on grey color scheme at first. Probably something to do with middle-aged vision on my part. There is an option down on the bottom left side of the page to change the view however. It's a drop-down box with the options of Fusion, Fusion_X, or Conventional. Conventional gives a white background with standard text color. I'm using Fusion X right now, and for some reason it's working OK with my lousy vision. Or maybe it just took some getting used to the change.

FOMW, I'm so glad you are moving the threads over to the new site. There are some discussions I didn't visit the first time and would like the chance to read them now that my TV viewing consists of Deadwood and nothing else. Again, you did a great job and many thanks for all the hours you devote to these pages.

Hi badabellisima. Glad you came over!

Unfortunately, I designed this site entirely on my laptop. My desktop was hit with a virus that knocked out my ability to use the Internet, among other things, and to get it totally "right" again I will have to do a complete OS reinstall, which I can't do until some video work I'm doing on it is completed.

I use a Sony Trinitron crt monitor on the desktop, and though I've come to love the clarity and eye-friendliness of my laptop, it, not surprisingly, doesn't have nearly the same handling of dynamic range and gamma that a crt has. So I'm finding out the hard way how unreliable the laptop screen is at gauging the color saturation and luminance many users will see, particularly those not using lcd screens.

It's a pity, too, because on my Dell Inspiron 17" widescreen the forum is a gorgeous mix of mid-dark blues, not greys. Most text is actually light blue, with some very light grey mixed in. But on the two other monitors I've used to view the forum in the last few days (all crts), the colors do indeed look charcoal and grey. Just much, MUCH less color saturation.

It's a great disappointment to me that others aren't experiencing the colors as I intended. But there is a solution.:-)

This software lets the user choose any "skin" that the administrator has made available and to have that preference stored in a cookie or in the user CP so that on subsequent visits, that viewing preference is always honored. For now, I have only made the defaul vBulletin skin available and have called it "Conventional". But it will offer you a much more traditional black text on light background view.

To select it, look in the lower left corner of the screen. You should see "Default Style" listed. Hit the drop down arrow, and click "Conventional." That should do it.

To make the selection a permanent part of your profile, go to your user CP, select "Edit Options", scroll to the very bottom, and make your preference under "Forum Skin".

I will eventually make at least one other skin available, probably one closer to the tans and taupes that I used on the last forum. Hope this helps.:-)

Hi FOMW -- quick question for you. I uploaded my profile image and it shows on the user profile. I then posted a test message (since deleted) which did not display the photo. Am I doing something wrong? The image is also showing up under the "Edit options" page.

Odds are it will show with this post and I will feel like the idiot I am.

chrisishot1 wrote:badabellisima, I too had a little difficulty with the white on grey color scheme at first. Probably something to do with middle-aged vision on my part. There is an option down on the bottom left side of the page to change the view however. It's a drop-down box with the options of Fusion, Fusion_X, or Conventional. Conventional gives a white background with standard text color. I'm using Fusion X right now, and for some reason it's working OK with my lousy vision. Or maybe it just took some getting used to the change.
Great minds, LOL? We must have been posting at the same time.

BTW, I miss named the skins. The default one should be called Fusion X because it's the one that is extendable or expandable to any screen size while the other one is fixed. Sigh.:-)

FOMW, I'm so glad you are moving the threads over to the new site. There are some discussions I didn't visit the first time and would like the chance to read them now that my TV viewing consists of Deadwood and nothing else.
Wouldn't move the forum unless I could move the old threads. It proved quite a challenge. As you will note, because I did not have access to the EZboard database (BOO!), there are still traces of some stray html codes in the posts. I may yet run a script to try and clean the rest of that up, but we will probably be stuck with a certain amount of it. On the bright side, at least the paragraph structure is in tact, which is the most important thing.

Chisishot, I also moved what I could of the old season 5 posts from Sopranoland. I archived these BEFORE the last managerial change there in anticipation that they might be deleted (which most of them have been since, I think). The EZboard crash of a couple years ago destroyed a couple of the forums and others have a lot of missing posts, but there's still a lot of great stuff I brought over. And I know your name appears in those threads quite a lot.:-)

chrisishot1 wrote:Hi FOMW -- quick question for you. I uploaded my profile image and it shows on the user profile. I then posted a test message (since deleted) which did not display the photo. Am I doing something wrong? The image is also showing up under the "Edit options" page.

Odds are it will show with this post and I will feel like the idiot I am.
I highly suspect I need to run and update script in the admin CP. Only certain actions automatically trigger an update of all threads and posts with new user information. Will force and update momentarily.

Upon further investigation, it appears that avatars and profile pictures are two different things. You have to upload avatars separately, and that's the one that shows up under posts. The other only shows up under your user profile.

Why have them both? So that you can set different file size limits, apparently. The default profile pic size is larger than the default avatar size so that the much more popular thread pages aren't overburdened with image files while you can put a decent size pic under your much less accessed profile. At least I think that's the reasoning.

So upload the pic you want as an avatar, and it should work.

Return to “Request a Sitdown (Pre-2016)”