Jim in "The Drop" (SPOILER ALERT!)

Don't read this if you want the ending spoiled....

OK, I warned you.

So, for those who have seen it:

Holy shit, could Jim's final moment on screen have been any spookier for a Sopranos fan?!

I saw this in the theater and literally gasped when I saw his final scene unfold.

This time, Jim's character (Marv) sees it coming (!) FROM BEHIND, and closes his eyes (I think he might even say, 'Oh, shit) before the deal goes down. Boom. Dead.

It gave me chills.

What a performance. Jim knocked it out of the park, per usual.

Between The Drop (which made me think of Christopher's line about"the drip" in his screenplay) and Enough Said, I can't think of a better showcase of the man's talents in his two final movies.

I'm so glad I caught the master do his thing one last time in a theater...

But so sad he's no longer with us. I made sure to wait for 'in dedication to James Gandolfini' showed up in the closing credits.
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

Re: Jim in "The Drop" (SPOILER ALERT!)

Thanks for that, mutual dream. Is this film going to be in wide release? I'm so out of the loop on what's playing at the local multiplex. But I don't think either of his last films have come to my area (and small as it is, I don't really expect them to.)
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

mutualdream wrote:Don't read this if you want the ending spoiled....

Holy shit, could Jim's final moment on screen have been any spookier for a Sopranos fan?!

I saw this in the theater and literally gasped when I saw his final scene unfold.

This time, Jim's character (Marv) sees it coming (!) FROM BEHIND, and closes his eyes (I think he might even say, 'Oh, shit) before the deal goes down. Boom. Dead.
Headline: "In Final Scene of Film Career, James Gandolfini Confirms Tony Was Whacked at the End of The Sopranos"!

Oh God, here we go again... (on and on and on and on)

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Is this film going to be in wide release? .)
I doubt it's playing anywhere now. I don't think it did very well at the box office, but it got fairly wide release when it came out a month or so ago. I knew it probably had a one-week shelf life at my theater...

Definitely worth checking out when it comes out on DVD/On Demand. good flick; Tom Hardy was really solid as the, er, 'strong, silent type' bartender.

But it was all about Jimmy for me. I hope he receives some supporting actor recognition come award season.
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

mutualdream wrote:Fyi this is now out on dvd and Blu Ray. Go watch Jim's incredible final performance!!!
Thanks for the reminder, MD! Will definitely put it on my "to do" list . . . even if it takes me a year to actually do it:icon_smile: . Like when I finally watched Not Fade Away about 5 months ago. (Enjoyed it BTW, although, obviously, it's not in the same galaxy as The Sops in terms of its impact on me.)
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I saw The Drop a couple of months ago here in Sydney. I can't praise it enough. It was a very dark film noir style movie with a twist at the end. Gandolfini was magnificent. Along with his wonderful lead in the romcom Enough Said there is a feeling of sadness at the loss of one of the genuinely great actors of the era. Please all who still post or lurk in this forum watch his last series of works.

Return to “Sopranos in the News”