Bittersweet

Anyone else feeling mixed emotions about Sunday night? I mean, it's wonderful to finally know how it's all going to end, but it's also sad to know that it's all going to end. The expectation, waiting, guessing, analyzing, and speculating before a season begins -- it's such a delicious part of the experience. It's a little hard to believe that this is the last build-up.

What a great, fascinating trip it's been.

Re: Bittersweet

As much as I love the show and the wait has been long and I have analysed episodes fanatically I don't feel ready. I don't want it to end but I know it must. My twisted imagination enjoys the thought of tuning in Sunday night only to be greeted by Chase saying "I know you're all anxious to see new Sopranos but give us another couple months, okay" Sick, I know. But anything to prolong the anticipation and mystery.

As much as I think the show can still be great and go on, I think it's a good time to end. The show, at least in my opinion, has maintained an unprecedented level of quality, and I'm so excited that it's going out on top. This, to me, is Michael Jordan taking his last shot to win a championship in '98, and I'm glad we won't have to see the "Washington Wizards" era of the show.:icon_wink:

So as much as I'll miss it, I'm glad to finally see how it all ends. I can't wait!!!

Ah, the downside of obsession:icon_cry: I can identify with the feelings you both expressed.

Al Pacino is very fond of the expression, "Man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" It's kind of the same thing here. As you said, chaseisgod, the reaching, the imagining, the anticipation, the hoping, the speculating is all as much of the pleasure as seeing the actual episodes. Forget that it will take next to forever for something as great as The Sopranos to come down the dramatic pike again. Of more immediate concern for me is how to cope with no longer having reason to speculate about where Tony is headed next.

I'm sure I'll manfucature something in due course, since mine is an obsessive personality by nature. Maybe I'll just fall back on a couple of long-standing obsessions that have taken a back seat to the Sopranos in recent years. But I have a hard time imagining anything that could again so completely command my heart and mind.

And just remember this conversation come June 11th when it's truly all over. The time in between will seem like the blink of an eye.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

AJColossal wrote:As much as I think the show can still be great and go on, I think it's a good time to end. The show, at least in my opinion, has maintained an unprecedented level of quality, and I'm so excited that it's going out on top. This, to me, is Michael Jordan taking his last shot to win a championship in '98, and I'm glad we won't have to see the "Washington Wizards" era of the show.:icon_wink:

So as much as I'll miss it, I'm glad to finally see how it all ends. I can't wait!!!
I like your analogy, AJC. If ever MJ should have left the game for good, it was after that jumper in Utah.

And I do agree that it feels like the right time to end. Of course that doesn't make it less sad.:icon_cry:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Indeed, this thought will not hit me until that very last episode. Until then, I can at least say...8 more left...7 more left...etc. But it will leave a slight void. And I include the "slight" because Chase has given us ample opportunity to figure out life without the Sopranos thanks to his long waits between the last few seasons.

It's been a long, sweet trip. But we all knew it had to end someday. Let's just hope it's on a high note...just like a soprano should. :icon_wink:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

I don't know to explain this as eloquently as I want to, but I've just spent the past few weeks re-watching all of the episodes from Season 1. I've done this from time to time, always knowing that there would be another season to add to the batch, to obsess over, to hunt for clues, to detect hidden motives. It finally dawned on me that this will be it, the last time to watch an entire season for the first time. Then it will all become part of memory and nostalgia, to be rehashed over and over......

I joked to somebody that one of the great things about having a stroke might be the possibility of watching The Office (BBC version) over again for the first time. I feel the same way about The Sopranos. I want to come to it fresh, and there's only one more chance for that.....

But like others have said, the sooner, the better. I can't wait.

chaseisgod wrote:I joked to somebody that one of the great things about having a stroke might be the possibility of watching The Office (BBC version) over again for the first time. I feel the same way about The Sopranos. I want to come to it fresh, and there's only one more chance for that......
That's ALMOST the same thing I've said before, and, trust me, I wasn't joking, LMAO. I have seriously thought that selective, controlled amnesia would be very desirable. When and if they are able to engineer drugs or other mechanisms to precisely wipe out select "files" in the brain, so to speak, I would be the first to sign up . . . I think. I would love to watch this whole thing again for the first time, although I suppose there's no way to guarantee that I'd react to it exactly the same way.

supervince wrote:As much as I love the show and the wait has been long and I have analysed episodes fanatically I don't feel ready. I don't want it to end but I know it must. My twisted imagination enjoys the thought of tuning in Sunday night only to be greeted by Chase saying "I know you're all anxious to see new Sopranos but give us another couple months, okay" Sick, I know. But anything to prolong the anticipation and mystery.
I agree with you completely. I will embarrass myself and tell all of you that I am in denial that this is really the end of the line. Never has a show captivated my interest as much as The Sopranos. I love this show so much, I don't mind watching the episodes over and over. I will never get bored! I am looking forward to sharing thoughts on the first episode and the remaining 8 episodes.

Return to “Season 6, Part 2, Non Spoiler-Based Speculation/Discussion”