Bobby (Spoilers)

From reading reviews and spoilers of the first episode, I honestly think that Bobby's storyline is a bit unbelievable. Bobby has always been portrayed as dull witted and a warm, friendly guy. Now we're supposed to believe that he's a tough, cold blooded killer, with potential to be the next DiMeo boss. Honestly, a guy like Bobby would never, and could never, be named boss. He lacks the intellect, street smarts, sharpness of mind and ruthlessness that it takes to be a boss.
At the same time, he has really risen from the bottom of the family. Unlike Christopher, he's had to earn his place in the family through hard work and good earnin and is generally a level headed guy with no drug problems and an absolute loyalty to the family.

Re: Bobby (Spoilers)

I think that's kind of the whole point. Tony has such bleak options for a successor that Bobby is just as logical as anyone else, despite the shortcomings you mentioned.

Plus, why don't we wait to see how the events transpire in next episode before we say that it's not believable for Bobby to do this or that?

When episode one began, and Carmella said something about going away with Janice and Bobby, didn't Tony say something demeaning about Bobby again? Remember when Tony was at Melfi's and admitted that he likes to take a dump on Bobby whenever he can? I think having Bobby in line for his #2 is more to do with that than anything. As he told Bobby, he's looking to insulate himself. Just like he lined up Uncle Junior to take the fallout, he's looking to do the same with Bobby. Tony is always thinking a few steps ahead of everything. He knows the end, whatever it may be, is coming. And he's preparing.

It may be that Tony will want out of the mob so badly, that he will name Bobby as the new boss. After all, Tony won't really give a fuck if Bobby fucks everything up, will he? He just wants out.

Bobby may be somewhat dimwitted, but one good trait about him is that he might be able to be counted on to keep his Omerta oath. Tony might feel good in dumping everything in Bobby's lap and letting him take a 30 year prison sentence. Tony will be clear and free and will have zero chance of being alive by the time Bobby gets out. As far as Tony is concerned, Bobby can go fuck himself. I don't see how things could work out any better for Tony that for him to retire and let Bobby take the fall. That would be sweet.

Splishak wrote:It may be that Tony will want out of the mob so badly, that he will name Bobby as the new boss. After all, Tony won't really give a fuck if Bobby fucks everything up, will he? He just wants out.

Bobby may be somewhat dimwitted, but one good trait about him is that he might be able to be counted on to keep his Omerta oath. Tony might feel good in dumping everything in Bobby's lap and letting him take a 30 year prison sentence. Tony will be clear and free and will have zero chance of being alive by the time Bobby gets out. As far as Tony is concerned, Bobby can go fuck himself. I don't see how things could work out any better for Tony that for him to retire and let Bobby take the fall. That would be sweet.
You don't get to retire from "this thing of ours". Even a boss and never at age 47.

I don't understand how Bobby has had such longevity.

He doesn't have much to contribute and he would blow up real good if pushed out of a highrise window. I would think that Bobby should have been killed long ago - and if not, then any day now.

Like, for instance, tonight would be a perfect time for Bobby to get killed. He doesn't reall contribute much to the story and he could bawl like a real pussy if put to the test by some of the NY boys. Bobby's death scene could easily be one of the most entertaining things we've ever seen in the show.

Bobby is still a loyal solder to Tony, still produces for Tony, and is married to Tony's sister. He was willing to do the hit in Canada to prove his loyalty, to improve his status with Tony, get more opportunites for income to keep Janice happy. I think he might very well be a target of Phil's boys in their soon to be very heated battles with Tony, to revenge for the killing of Phil's brother and mafia associates and so on.

I watched 'Soprano Home Movies' again and realized something interesting.

Bobby and Janice are living in Johnny Sac's house, but Bobby's link to Johnny doesn't end there.

How about Bobby's sensitivity to crude comments about his wife.

Also, how about the fact the Bobby seems faithful to Janice. He looked disgusted at Tony when waving to the hot water-skier. He's the only one without a goomar, just like Johnny was.

Can anyone else find any similarities between Bobby and Johnny?

I wonder if Bobby's character will develop more towards Johnny's in the last 3 episodes.

shantyirishman wrote:Actually, when Christopher scanned the guys laughing at him in Walk Like A Man, Bobby was visible with a girlfriend (sure as hell wasn't Jan). If anything, Bobby's become more like Tony, or at least more like Sil, since he killed the kid in Montreal.
You could be right, but just because she's standing there doesn't mean she's his girlfriend.

I noticed an inconsistancy with this scene. Watch closely right when Chris almost slips and falls at the bar. The very next cut shows a wide shot of the room and the girl standing next to bobby is blonde. All along, before that, it was a brunette. This happens too quickly to be intended and I think it was a mistake. I'm guessing this cutaway was shot out of sequence.

Return to “Season 6, Parts 1 and 2, Spoilers/Spoiler-Based Speculation”