Paulie and his current state

During the scene at the pool table, I had a hard time understanding what Paulie was saying. His usual comedic timing and off-color humor were completely missing. I hope they don't turn him into the "Soprano's Frankie Carbone", in that you eventually only understand half the things he says, and most people don't take them completely seriously.

Then, when he was very stoic in walking out of the pool room, he walked "behind" the tv, not in front of it. Remember, the tv was showing this black and white version of that energetic drummer artist.

I hope the days on this show of Paulie calling the shots are not completely over as a result of his cancer.

</p>

Re: Paulie and his current state

I feel sad for the psychotic bastard. He is my favorite character besides Tony and I have been getting a sense that Paulie is going the way of Uncle Junior...his importance to the crew and the show will soon be nothing.

The first bad sign was when he found out his mother, the only one he loves, wasn't really his mother. I knew, I just knew Paulie would never be the "same" afterwards and something extremely bad was waiting for him the following episodes. His jokes and great one-liners are a going to be few and far between.

You know the way he walked out of the Bing and Tony didnt say or do anything says a lot. Tony knows Paulie has got sh-t on his plate and is not mentally and emotionally equipped to deal with cancer. Paulie handles all his problems with his fists, bats, guns or knife but unfortunately he cant just "kill" something like cancer.

It makes sense though if Paulie is ultimately done in by cancer. He is way too street smart, tough and (especially) paranoid to be whacked by somebody.

It's too bad.

</p>

he said a lot in a few words. pretty much that chris in AA and vito being a homo that some ol' gangsta dude i guess(didnt remember or recognize the name) if he could see them now he'd roll over in his grave. then tony started considering vitos offer and paulie got up and left quietly but i felt in disqust. tony shot him a look. seemed harmless. but i get the feeling it was paulie that tipped phil off 'bout vito. i hate to think he would do sumn like that but remember him talkin to JS back in the day behind tony's back? told him all sorts of shit about what was goin on in jersey. it also may have been the dude that borrowed 20k from vito. i just got a feelin it was paulie cause of the past and the fact he and carlo had the biggest problem wit vito's preference

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>i really hope they dont let cancer kill paulie<hr></blockquote>

I feel the same way. Unfortunately, it seems like Chase's vast array of characters all represent different types of people- old, young, gay, straight, married, single, happy, depressed. He does such an outstanding job of portraying the traits of all different types of everyday folks.

Of course, many of us know someone who was a "big shot" in his youth. Similarly, many of us know someone (perhaps in our family) who has died of cancer. It is my hope that David Chase doesn't combine these two types of people into Paulie Walnuts.

They've invested so much already through the years into his character, it seems like we kinda know Paulie. If we don't root for him, at the very least we follow him or find him interesting. As of Epl 6.11, it doesn't look good for Paulie. However, I really hope he makes a comeback, I'm sure that is what many of the viewers wish as well.

Hey, Mayor Giuliani had prostate cancer and look at him. Maybe Paulie's story can be similar.

</p>

Maybe he will take his own life if the treatments get too tough and his condition get worse. He lives alone, no wife or kids, has no real close friends, is estranged from his birth mother, never knew his father and then he gets the big C. Add to that the problems in the mob, the pressure for income and all of it could put him over the edge and kill himself. It will either happen in the last episode in this season or early in the next season.

</p>

Good point TS OG. I never considered it could of been Paulie. I felt him walking away behind the tv was just because he was sick of hearing everyone talking so openly about Vito and he felt alone in his feelings. I was actually thinking he would make a wise crack. Maybe Paulies starting to finally feel his age. I cant help but feel sorry for the guy too, things have been tough for him pretty consistently since season 3 with the russian.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.11: Cold Stones”