The Potential Consequences of the Hit on Rusty....

what do people think is going to happen as a result of this?

was the plotline purely thrown in to highlight aspects of the relationship between john, tony and phil or do people think it might have serious reprocussions.

it sort of reminds me of the storyline involving the female shylock that was brieflly introduced and then killed off right away. but nothing came of it until several episodes later when tony b killed joey peeps which we all know caused massive problems.

so come mafia experts....lets here some thoughts.

</p>

Re: The Potential Consequences of the Hit on Rusty....

Tony did the hit on Rusty to help Johnny Sac and to keep in good graces with the NY side of the mob, including Phil. Don't forget that Rusty being killed sets up an opening for Phil to move up into Rusty's turf, so it keeps Phil happy too, something that helps Tony too. Problem is that some of Rusty's underlings may not be happy to work for Phil/Sac and may to hurt Phil or even Tony.

</p>

I think that the low-key depiction of the Rusty hit was a way to downplay the incident, make the viewer believe that the act won't have significant consequences.

Consequently, I think that the act will have major consequences. I believe that, his "heart is an open book" comments aside, Philly uses what he knows to finally kickstart the NY-NJ war we've all anticipated.

J-Sac can't lead the troops during a war from the can, so Philly takes the opportunity to grab the top spot. He rallies his own troops by telling them that NJ is weak (Tony's condition), treacherous (hit on Rusty) and, worst of all, soft on homosexuality.

</p>

As Soprano hits go, this one was lacking any brutality or comedy. Most of the others had either one or both.

The writers don't usually give plot time to events for no reason, so I was wondering what the point was to having his wife come out to give him a reminder.

My guess is that this hit will be connected to some future event. In my opinion, the hit was unnecessary and just served to fill some ego maniacal need of John's. So, hopefully the consequences will come back to bite John.

As for the power dynamics, it seems like now Phil is the main focus of any threat to John.

</p>

While it's definitely up for speculation, I felt the point of having Rusty's wife appear just before his death was simply to connect the actual incident to the comment Chris makes to Ben Kingsley about Little Carmine having to head back to NY. Her appearance earlier in the episode was necessary to serve as a type of mental trigger because of the fact that the Rusty hit was so subtle. In my opinion, it was more good writing than foreshadowing.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.07: Luxury Lounge”