Referance to WTC

Sorry if this was posted in the main thread, but I am wondering about the referance towards the world trade center by the hit men that came over from Italy, with all the talk about terrorism/the arabs in this season, could this be of any significance, such as being attacked and empires falling to the ground?

any thoughts?

</p>

Re: Referance to WTC

I saw this as another reference to the themes of consumerism and materialism that are dominating this season and were particularly prevalent in this episode. The idea that the site of such a tragedy is basically now being used as a way to attract foreign tourists is pretty despicable.

Also the episode shows that the Italians lasting memory of America was not anything "culturally" significant or beautiful but rather how cheap the luxury goods were.

</p>

I did go and see it when I was in New York last year so it may be somewhat hypocritical of me to say this but what I meant was that it was distasteful that it is marketed as a tourist "attraction" and is used to sell the city to tourists. Essentially the tourism industry is trading on human misery. I think this is what David Chase meant by the reference particularly because the actor's portrayed the scene as though their character's thought it would be a cool or exciting thing to see rather than a sombre or reflective one.

</p>

Is it distasteful for Washington to market the war memorials as tourist attractions? I didn't find it distasteful when I saw grown men weeping. What about the Holocaust museum? Maybe we need to be reminded of what happened.

If you want to play the distasteful card, we could just say HBO, Chase, and company are making money off the history of violent acts by organized crime in this country.

As Michael said to Kay in the Godfather, "Who's being naiive, Kay?"

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... ogambia</A> at: 4/27/06 6:56 pm

The whole vibe I got from the Italians' attitude toward America, including the WTC reference, was "empire in decline," recalling Tony's statement from a previous season -- "I feel like I came in at the end ... the good times are over," or something to that effect. We're in an age of terror, our currency isn't worth shit and our gangsters are about 1/10 as glamorous and successful as they used to be.

</p>

Re: Reference to WTC

In most respects these characters were just two ordinary Neapolitan guys on a business assignment in NYC and environs. Other than the fact that they were on a "hit" assignment, I was reminded of just how mundanely touristy they were. Their interest in the WTC site and luxury lounge-type booty seemed to emphasize the universality of rather conventional attitudes toward tourist attractions and souvenir gathering behaviors.

</p>

I agree OE. I thought all that touristy-stuff was to underscore how subtle that hit was. The hitmen might as well have been tourists for all they talked about it. In fact, notice how they never do talk about it? The only thing we hear about this hit is from the 'bagman' when he's telling them who to kill, and where. Even Tony and Phil's conversation about the hit wasn't really about the hit. Yet here we all are discussing it, b/c we all know that it's important. I think it all has to do with how good a job Tony did of 'pointing things away from him.' The hitmen had no idea who they were hitting, why, and for whom. The strikingly little time devoted to that subplot, the lack of coversation regarding the job. Hell for all we know, the hit may as well have not taken palce. And so Tony can claim.
I like how you put it OE, they were just 'two ordinary Neapolitan guys on a business assignment in NYC and environs'

</p>

anybody see any similarities in the planes between chris-thin killer, murmur-angular killer, chase-kingsley, statist woman with kingsley and statist woman with chase?
looks so set up.
the thin guy bought a women watch, chris had one too :P.

edit: of course they did not go to the wtc site, they got pompeji right in front of their house door, italy is so full with ruins.(no offense intended here, i am just seeing that as a possibility why they didnt go)

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge ... rurusch</A> at: 4/28/06 7:17 pm

Return to “Episode 6.07: Luxury Lounge”