Re: tony took the 10 year offer????????? crazy!

I don't think him giving up his legit business front is that huge of a deal. There are many different ways one could come up with a front to appear legit. He has 10 years to do it, and he probably won't live for another 10 years. I don't think its going to be an issue for the remainder of the series.

I think the caving into NY will be the bigger issue and it will cause some people to start questioning his judgement. I think his underlings will do so at first, but judging from their abilities to run anything competently without him, it won't be long before Tony puts them in their place and lets them know that they need him a lot more than he needs them.

The major issue will be NY starting to push harder. However, Tony is still Tony and he isn't going to let anyone rip him off. If Johnny Sach wants to get greedy and start a war while he is behind bars, Tony will have no problem with that. He still has a major advantage because Sach will still want to maintain total control, but the quickness that information can get into him will limit the ability to respond. If I was Tony and Sach wanted to start a war, I'd take out all of their captains at the same time like my name is Michael Corleone and pretty much kill both Sach's ability to get information and any delegation of leadership. Other families wouldn't approve at first, but Sach would be bringing all of this on himself if he really believes he can threaten Tony while he is behind bars. Tony may not be in the best of health, but that's not nearly the handicap that jail is.

</p>

NY is a ticking time-bomb......Johnny is locked up and about to explode......you know he does not like being locked up when he was on the throne for like 5 mins, especially after the shit storm he created to get there. Phil is still harboring his rage for NJ after what Tony B did to his kid brother. Then you got those guys from Members Only "Gerry Toricano" who fucked up Hesh and his son in law......NY is makin their pressence felt.....

</p>

These apparently "less greedy" gestures are a nice beginning and exemplify Tony's reprioritizing his life. Putting less emphasis on money and more on life, family, and relationships. However, this is only the beginning. This "less greedy behavior" was very predictable given the significance of his dream/NDE/metaphysical experience. As the reverend indicated Tony's salavation is still in front of him and needsl to be earned.

As with substance abusers, pathological gamblers, sociopaths etc. to be successful they require: 1) high levels of motivation to make change, 2) support from loved ones, and 3) cognitive and behavioral skills to make the necessary changes occur. It seems to me that Tony has 1 and 2 in abundance right now. Unfortunately, he is very much lacking in 3. So, in my opinion (from what we know right now), Tony is most likely to relapse in his thinking and lifestyle and, within a matter of months to a year, be "pulled back in" (sorry for the Godfather III reference) to his pre-NDE lifestyle. This is where Melfi comes in...her importance in Tony's reformation has never been more important than right now.

Jtod

</p>

whereas previously his greed would have overridden all of tonys other thoughts about this, his experience has changed him. he has become 'reasonable'... he says... 'truth be told, there's enough garbage for everybody'... and in his own mind, he believes it. though today's 'conflict mediation' expert would praise tony, no doubt his negotiation in this matter will be perceived as weakness, a fatal flaw in a mob boss. jtod.. interesting ideas, and i agree that backsliding would be quite natural given what's going on all around him... i too expect to see quite a session in melfi's office. can't wait.

</p>

he still seems to be a bit stuck in the other world imho, he liked the peace and silence there i guess.i agree with jayneeze that he bought the time so he can find his peace.i take it he will sleep a lot or hang out at the pool to regain power.
he didnt want to leave the hospital either, either because it was a 'gate' to the other world(remember him asking 'i am dead, right?') or because he wanted some real sleep and peace out more.

</p>

Tony and the 10 year offer

Maybe Tony thinks he won't last another 10 years. To me, one affect of his coma dreams is that he may have become more concerned about a fear of dying soon. In the storylines, his father died a natural death when he was in his 50's, about 10 year older than Tony is today. Tony has had health scares (skin cancer, panic attacks which mimic heart trouble, the affects from being shot). He knows he is in the crossfire from the NY families and perhaps within his own side of the river limit his life expectancy. This doesn't mean he will go too soft, despite what we have seen since in some ways as he recovers from his shooting, but perhaps taking a more pregmatic positions.

</p>

Re: Tony and the 10 year offer

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Maybe Tony thinks he won't last another 10 years.<hr></blockquote>

Or, as I posited in another post, maybe he doesn't contemplate being in "the life" in 10 years...could be he's considering "flipping".

I don't think that is the case, just another possible explanation.

I think he knows that he is too weak to fight about this and there is always a way to replace the legt "cover" of the lost Barone W-2. Maybe he'll be looking for "payback" on Johnny Sac in the future...Phil and Johnny may have created a debt they don't even realize that they will need to make good on in the (near) future.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.04: The Fleshy Part of the Thigh”