Re: tony took the 10 year offer????????? crazy!

i just posted a question about this in main thread - i thought maybe I misunderstood the story because it's shocking to me that Tony would accept this deal. on top of being bad for the 'family' -- isn't it horrible for Tony and his real family? Barone was his security, his legit business front, a steady stream of income. Tony himself said tonight that he set up the deal to last in perpetuity (sp?) -- and he so quickly says yes to the 10 years?

</p>

Is Tony turning into a softie or does he just not feel like having a fight on his hands because he is still recovering?

He showed sympathy to Paulie before he knew the whole story about Paulies aunt being his mother. He didnt show that sympathy to Furio when his dad died when he told him "you have to get over it"

Also he took the 10 year deal. Old Tony never would have.

He ended up not collecting the 2 grand from the paramedic! Chris almost tried to stop that but Tony insisted.

</p>

I like that Tony is changing. I don't think it should come to such a surprise to any Soprano fan or viewer. Am I wrong?

However, I think fans are jumping too quick on the idea that Tony is a "softie." Tony Soprano is still trying to adjust to everything around him and is doing an adequate job, all things concerning.

I can't see Tony ever going soft but I do see him doing things and conducting business on a more level-headed manner. It was not necessary for Tony to accept a mere $2,000 on any level from that paramedic. Greed will eventually do this Family in BUT it won't be for Tony Soprano.

I believe Tony's greedy side is going to subside for awhile -- he will be thinking on a more longterm basis. It's more important to keep Johnny Sac and the powerful NY family content just until Tony figures out a better and more prosperous way to handle NY.

Tony is slowly but surely changing his perspective of what's important to him and (both) his families. Tony knows better than anyone else that he is surrounded by sharks and greedy killers but that he also has the iron hand and the iron will to keep everybody in line....

Tony is simply a less of a "prick" than before.

</p>

Well before Tony was shot in this season he was very, very greedy with the $, stealing sunglasses from Jenny Sacks brother like he was entitled, taking Eugenes gifts - even his "taste" of his inheritance, eating 40 dollar pieces of sushi non-stop and buying Carm her porsche. Maybe they built up all that greed and riches up until he was shot to show the contrast in the man he is becoming now..........

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>It was not necessary for Tony to accept a mere $2,000 on any level from that paramedic. Greed will eventually do this Family in BUT it won't be for Tony Soprano.<hr></blockquote>

Well, that's exactly the concern that's being raised here. Remember all the talk we had about "Join the Club" when Tony expected a "taste" of Gene Pontecuervo's inheritance even AFTER receiving expensive watches for his entire family?

I don't think its too soon to be talking about a new Tony mentality. The issue raised here, which seems to be a big one, is whether Tony's mob "family" will allow him to continue living if he starts walking down a morally sound life. There is no demotion from being boss, there's only death at the first sign of weakness. Tony nearly got it just for seeing a shrink, and if you think that the capos have softened in the last 5 years, I think you'd be mistaken.

</p>

Well, as some astute posters pointed out in the coma dream interpretation thread, Tony stumbled between the 5th and 4th floors of the Omni, which correspond to Inferno "circles" of wrath/sullenness ("rage turned outward and inward") and greed, respectively. As I noted in the other thread, Tony was consistently cranky and ill-tempered up until the last 5 minutes or so of this episode. He was also shown at his most greedy up until that time.

Yet by the last few minutes he was holding Janice's hand, speaking softly about how gifted he'd been in making it through this experience, and was rejecting the 2K he'd extorted from the EMS worker and agreeing to a far less lucrative compromise on the Barone sanitation deal. A diminution of wrath and greed.

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.04: The Fleshy Part of the Thigh”