Re: The stomach wound

My wife is a nurse who has experience with wound care. I asked her about that gaping wound, and her first reaction was that it was probably from exploratory surgery to find the bullet.
Then, as mentioned before, they leave it open to reduce infection until it can be safely closed. She called it a 'packing wound'. And for what it's worth, she said it probably smells bad too. Hope you're not eating right now.

</p>

Re: The stomach wound

yeah, I figured the wound would have been from surgery. Also to anyone who thinks Tony is going to die or not be the same again, I would strongly disagree, even the preview for season 6 had many shots of tony perfectly healthy, and even beating people down and such, and I can assure you those are not all dreams. I would however expect the next episode or the one after that will have tony awaken and then maybe the week after that we might see the show skip ahead in a time a bit, to a more healthy tony.

</p>

Re: Hollowpoints

Okay then, if he's got this big open wound, wouldn't the staff and visitors have to wear gowns and masks to avoid the spreading of germs?

I think I better go eat lunch before that "gaping wound that probably smells bad" makes me lose my appetite.

</p>

Sunala, you're right....a big gaping wound like that would never, never never be left open with potentially contamined family within arm's reach of it.

Never, ever ever.

This is either part of a larger dream sequence or just something we swallow as part of an "it's only a tv show" thing.

</p>

The hole in Tony's stomach is not from the gun shot, but from surgery to fix his internal problems.

I only saw the episode once but, if I recall, they said his gall bladder and spleen were hit. That would require them to go in and fix those areas (along with removing the bullet).

Also, they are worried about septicemia, due to the infections from his organs, which is why they are keeping the wound open to drain.

That's all realistic. I had a family member in a similar state (though not from a gun-shot wound) about a year ago and we spent a month in the hospital with him in an induced coma for most of that.

That being said, it's a TV show and does require some suspension of disbelief. There are a couple things that wouldn't be allowed.

First, the family wouldn't be allowed in there without masks and gloves as they would be worried about getting bacteria in Tony, or spreading infection to his family.

Second, the family wouldn't be allowed to just stay in the room with Tony 24/7 like they are now. We were allowed to visit for about 10 minutes every hour.

Aside from those minor issues, it's pretty spot on.

</p>

Stomach Wound

My wife and I were sitting in front of TV trays, eating spagetti when the episode was on. When they showed that gaping wound, my wife went berserk. I've got a strong stomach, but she's either through with spagetti, through with the Sopranos, or both...

I understand that next week you don't want to be watching and eating chocolate pudding at the time... lol

</p>

Return to “Episode 6.02: Join the Club”