"Teddy Spirodakis"

I believe the killing of Teddy Spirodakis was meant to foreshadow Tony's own demise at the end of the series. They have the same initials and their names are vaguely phonetically similar, they're both fat, they both die while eating. Also, just after Gene kills Teddy, we see him rubbing a spot of blood off his face, then smearing it across a map of New York - this has to be foreshadowing the war between NY and NJ.
Taps, lights out, 2200 hours. What's missing? Give up? Television.

Re: "Teddy Spirodakis"

zwingli wrote:I believe the killing of Teddy Spirodakis was meant to foreshadow Tony's own demise at the end of the series. They have the same initials and their names are vaguely phonetically similar, they're both fat, they both die while eating. Also, just after Gene kills Teddy, we see him rubbing a spot of blood off his face, then smearing it across a map of New York - this has to be foreshadowing the war between NY and NJ.
Exactly. Think also of how unusual it is that this Teddy guy is so plump; I can't recall very many similar scenes of someone whacking a fat guy. It calls attention to itself. In some ways this whole Eugene/Spirodakis thing is the most compelling and obvious "clue" that Tony died. Even more persuasive is the fact that Eugene wears a Members Only jacket in this episode when he kills T.S. Earlier in the episode, Vito even points this out when he sees Gene -- "Ooh, Members Only!" or whatever. That line is totally superfluous and the only reason it would be in there (or, indeed, why Eugene would wear a MOJ) would be to foreshadow the final scene of the series.

Return to “Episode 6.01: Members Only”