Morricone

I've noticed three instances of Ennio Morricone songs used on the show.

The first is Tony's flashback in "Fortunate Son", when he approaches his father the night after he sees him mutilate Satriale, the theme from "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" is playing.

The second is later that season in "He Is Risen" when Ralphie and Tony have their "stand-off" in the pool hall. I'm not sure which song this was, but it was definitely Morricone.

The final instance is at the end of "Whoever Did This", Tony leaves the Bing and it cuts to black, with a remix of "The Man with the Harmonica" playing over the credits.
Taps, lights out, 2200 hours. What's missing? Give up? Television.

Re: Morricone

This is a subject dear to my heart because Morricone has written some of the most beautiful themes I've ever heard, in a movie or otherwise. I knew about instances one and three in your synopsis, but I don't have any recollection of the second one. Someday, whenever I decide to look at the show again (which could be quite a while), I will have to make it a point to check that out.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I just looked it up and realized I was actually mistaken about the second instance. Apparently the song playing was "Ghost Riders in the Sky". So Morricone isn't quite as pervasive as I thought. I still have to wonder if there's some connection ther between "Fortunate Son" and "Whoever Did This".
Taps, lights out, 2200 hours. What's missing? Give up? Television.

my 2 cents,

I also thought the captain/apology meeting was being scored by Morricone.

As for Chase's use of Morricone, in Fortunate Son I saw it most like a cool way to date those events. The use of Morricone itself is unsurprising, since Chase was in film school and Morricone is a top reference for movie sountracks. I could just be an homage.

If there is any significance at all, it could be within the parallels between a gangster life and the wild wild west. (That's the obvious overground conclusion, but I'd still like to read other interpretations)

Return to “Music on The Sopranos”