Re: Melfi, Tony didn't mention the cancer

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>I have to admit, it looks like Tony is taking the cancer thing quite well, maybe the reality of it hasn't hit him yet.<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm . . . maybe he doesn't really need to be concerned, at least not for the time being . . . from a medical perspective, mind you. For now, it is only a cancerous growth, and apparently benign. A lot of times that happens and it turns out not to be really a problem (remember Angie Bonpensiero in Season 2, Episode 4, "Commendatori"?). A former schoolmate of mine had a small, benign tumour removed from his temple in the 8th grade, and he's still completely fine.

</p>

Re: Melfi, Tony didn't mention the cancer

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>it is only a cancerous growth, and apparently benign.<hr></blockquote>

Actually, if it's cancerous, that means it's not benign. Tony has a squamous cell carcinoma, which is definitely a form of skin cancer.

But a google search of it indicates that if caught fairly early, it rarely spreads to other areas of the body. Removal is generally an effective, permanent cure, at least for the locale of the original lesion. That's not to say he couldn't get an independent (non-recurrent) lesion down the line.

I actually have a theory that this whole skin cancer thing, aside from deepening Tony's aimless emotional wandering and latent existential crisis, may be more symbolic than anything else. But that discussion belongs in another thread.

pub132.ezboard.com/fsopra...D=46.topic

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub132.ezboard.com/bsopranolandf ... fisWall</A> at: 4/5/04 5:46 am

Return to “Episode 5.05: Irregular Around the Margins”