Tony's comment to Chris- she's a ten and you're just average

On another forum someone was discussing that they thought that in Tony telling Christopher that Ade was "out of his league", too good for Christopher. He may have been mirroring his own thoughts about his relationship with Carmela.
I thought this was an interesting concept and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub132.ezboard.com/bsopranolandf ... anogirl</A> at: 4/5/04 9:50 pm

Re: Tony's comment to Chris- she's a ten and you're just ave

Very valid point. There seems little doubt that Tony was so openly and often cheating on Carmela, because deep down he's never felt he was good enough for her. He's never felt, I don't think, that he was really capable of giving her the kind of love and devotion she deserves. So while he was always with Carmela, he was always at the same time with other lesser women (like the russian) who he felt more adequate being with

</p>

not good enough for Carm?

I think that Tony has mixed feelings about that; I see all his affairs not him finding someone on his level (the one-legged Russian whoore!). Everyone of the girls gives Tony something that he adores: all the positive attention. He has to face reality with Carmela, so he lives out the "Daddy Warbucks" fantasy with all the other women. His affairs are not to be with someone that is more on his level, but to have something that he doesn't with Carmela.

</p>

> Chris/Adriana

I don't think that Tony thinks that Carm is out of his league. Tony is definitely confident and thinks that the only woman who might be out of his league these days is Melfi. Which is why he was so nervous about getting together with her and said "maybe you don't like my face or my cut," etc.

Though I think that Tony definitely thought that Carm was "10" about 20 years ago, and so it's interesting that he thinks that this time around he'd be able to "do it right" in terms of starting a family with Ade, not realizing that he'd get bored with her, too, at some point.

Then, 20 years from now, when he's around Uncle Jun's age and has another couple of kids with Ade, he'd still be dipping into the women from the Bing while an aging though still attractive Ade is stuck at home alone at nights reading the 2024 version of "Memoirs of a Geisha."

</p>

Return to “Episode 5.05: Irregular Around the Margins”