Alive Day Memories on HBO produced by Gandolfini

I hope you people are going to watch this.
Seems like Mr gandolfini works not to be pigeonholed and with this he is doing a really good job. I am very interested about it, even though it will be really hard for me to get to see this from Hungary.

http://www.hbo.com/aliveday/index.html

Such work is always very respectable. And if you read the interview wih Gandolfini i turns out that it just wasn't an easy job to get it done...

"The Army was very into it, the generals and everything. And then, from what I understand, someone high up pulled the plug on it. What a shock. "

My heart goes out for everybody out there.
You can't have everything- Where would you put it? -Steven Wright

Re: Alive Day Memories on HBO produced by Gandolfini

I am glad you reminded me of this because I too was very interested in seeing what the production brought to the table, if you will. Certainly these men and women deserve our most sincere gratitude and debt and it is a testament to Gandolfini that he should wish to push through such a project that does not appear (at least on the surface) to have any grand political statement but rather simply to honor those that have fought and nearly died in the service of their country. That's a really refreshing thing, frankly. Kudos to him and all others who helped on this project.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Alive Day Memories on HBO produced by Gandolfini

I finally got around to watching this last night. I have to say I was shocked at the gentle, sensitive nature James handled this production with. He let the veterans tell their stories with no interruptions, barely being seen on camera.

It kinda struck me that there was only one brief moment when James's celebrity was brought up. One of the younger veterans walked on to the set and said, "I know you."

James's response: "Hi, my name is Jim."

As for the subject matter itself, which was obviously what James wanted to focus on, it was touching and eye opening. Regarding war injury statistics, one statement I heard a long time that always stuck with me was: When you hear about injuries, we're not talking about broken toes.

This documentary really showed that. But at the same time, you rarely pitied the participants. It portrayed them as courageous - more so for working to try to overcome their battle wounds than for going to war.

As someone who has been against this war since day one, I have to say that this was a touching potrait of the part of combat you don't see.

So this is kudos to everyone involved in this production.

Return to “Television”