NBC's Heroes

I don't normally watch much network TV anymore, given overkill of commercials and superior product on HBO, but I have to admit - I caught Heroes on NBC last night and it was pretty darn good for what it is.

I read a good deal of X-Men growing up and certainly enjoyed Unbreakable, and this has somewhat of the same feel. It's just ordinary people, for the most part, that begin discovering their unique abilities. It feels realistic and I like the "slow burn" feel they have to it so far. Many have compared that to Lost, but I've never seen that so I don't know. But it is certainly building episode by episode.

Anyway - just wondering if anyone else caught the premiere on Monday (and I think is replaying Tuesday as well.) If so, what did you think?
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: NBC's Heroes

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:So are major networks now replaying their series during the week? I haven't watched network stuff in so long I'm not aware what they do or how it may have changed.
It's not regular practice, AFAIK, but they want to create some buzz I assume and it's pretty plot heavy so I understand. In many ways, it's why I have not gotten into shows like 24 or Lost so readily because I missed too many at first and didn't think I'd know what was going on (actually, same with Sopranos at the very beginning - for shame!) Thankfully, TV shows on DVD exist, otherwise I would have never seen 24 (though that one is really not that good after the first season, but that's just my opinion.)

Besides this, they have also taken to the "limited commercial interruptions" though I will note that there were still four commercial breaks that came every 15 minutes. I guess one could say they did not last as long as normal. :icon_rolleyes:

So I stopped watching this show after the first five or so episodes because I couldn't stand the huge amount of commercials. Today, the DVD of the first season has been released.

Question is - did anyone watch the rest of the first season? And if so, did the quality remain high? If I enjoyed the first few epeisodes, would I be rewarded by purchasing the season box set? Just curious.

I hate to buy DVDs sight unseen (and yes, I could rent) but the premise was really cool and if the rest of the season stacked up with the opening, I am thinking I should go ahead and purchase.

Well, just in the event anyone is interested I did end up purchasing the Heroes season one box set and I was not at all disappointed. Wow. What a great show. Not every character is as interesting, but Hiro, the Petrelli brothers and the cheerleader and her father all truly make the show worthwhile. I highly recommend it to anyone who might like comics, superheroes or any combination of the two. As well, for those that simply enjoy a ripping yarn. It's great stuff. It just sucks that I have to wait until season two comes out on DVD to continue enjoying it. But I will not watch it on network TV. Those damn commercials.

Well, Detective- i finally got to watching the whole series on DVD- and i've got to say- i think its fantastic! And you are right- no way could i have managed watching that with network commercials, as well as on the slow week-by-week pace. The intricate time-jumping from present to the future and back would be way too confusing to track with a week between eps. The characters really evolve with time, and the complex storyline is brilliant. i just re-watched the "final episode with Commentary", and it made me want to watch the whole thing again. Tim Kring is brilliant. Its more than a comic book come to life- it has a believable message, and its real drama with a new twist. Really surprised myself that i liked it so much! :smile:

-just realized you can watch the second season online at nbc.com for free- and its not too bad! A couple of commercial interruptions, but basically it plays right thru, and without the long 'previously seen re-cap'. Season 2 chapter one is awesome! Hiro goes back to the time of the samurai around 1600's, and (without giving away a spoiler), the special abilities people have to hide and re-group in the present time..excellent performance by George Takei (the old Sulu on Star Trek). check it out!

Return to “Television”