The Assasination of Jesse James (Soprano content)

Anyone seen this flick yet? I think it's a great film, I think the slower pace really accentuates the mood of the film.

I also couldn't help but notice the similiarites between Brad Pitt's Jesse James and Tony Soprano. Jesse's crew is essentially depleted, he has no one to trust, he's paranoid. The remaining members of his crew are afraid of Jesse, they walk on egg shells around him, and laugh harder at his jokes than anyone else's, not unlike Tony.

And he gets shot from behind.

It's an interseting film, and the cinematography is gorgeous. Check it out.

Re: The Assasination of Jesse James (Soprano content)

Wow, FOMW, you haven't seen this? I think it's right up the alley of any Sopranos diehard. I think it may still be in some theaters, but I bet it will be on DVD shortly.

Brad Pitt plays Jesse James in the final year of his life, when Robert Ford and his brother conspired to kill the legendary gangster. It's easily easily one of his best performances.

It's fascinating to watch Jesse as he tries to sniff out the 'rat' in his crew, just like Tony. The movie has basically centeres around Jesse in the season 6 pt. 2 act of his life, as a reward is put for his capture and has alienated his crew. He's a ruthless killer, but a caring father and husband.

Casey Afleck plays the "Coward Robert Ford," and does a splendid job. He was nominated for an Oscar this year.
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

mutualdream wrote:
Casey Afleck plays the "Coward Robert Ford," and does a splendid job. He was nominated for an Oscar this year.
Casey Affleck was excellent in Gone Baby Gone as well. This has been his year to shine. I think his supporting role in Last Kiss started the upswing.

This guy could act his brother out of a whorehouse in HO Chi Minh City. I'm not even sure what I mean by that but it's true.
Bacala: You know, Quasimodo predicted all this.
Tony: Who did what?

Yup, it's out on DVD. But I saw it on HBO the other night.

It's about 2.5 hours, but it was originally close to 4 hours. I think it debuted at Cannes in its original length, but it was cut considerably for the US release.

I gotta believe that some day they'll release a collector's edition director's cut (there are hardly any special features on the DVD already released).
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

Return to “Literature and Film”