Re: One Year Later

Back at you, jouster. I remembered that the anniversary was approaching several times in the last few weeks but actually forgot today when I logged on until I saw your message. I've stopped being surprised by how quickly time passes, although in some ways the last 5 years (particularly the last 3) have for me personally felt like an eternity.:-) But my dawn has finally broken, kind of like when Tony and Carmela are on the phone at the end of Test Dream and the sun is rising gradually on Carm's face.

Of course that gradual dawn was interrupted by another immediate cut to black that felt eerily like a foreshadowing of death (Carmela's) to me at the time. I hope I've passed my own "test dream" since I'd rather the sun keep rising in a gradual fade to white, like at the end of Mayham.:-)
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I read somewhere Made In America was supposed to end with MOG guy walk towards Tony's table or walk by it and then it was supposed to fade to black from there. If this was supposed to be the original ending, that pretty much confirms for me tony died.

Can anyone tell me if what I read was true or not? I'm new here and you guys probably have debated the ending a million times but as a die hard sopranos nut who thinks about if Tony died pretty often, it would help if I had a more definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, Bombers.

I was never as captivated by the question of whether Tony dies as many others were and ultimately felt it was left vague for a reason. I do recall mention back in the day of an actor or someone else involved with the show reporting that the last scene was originally supposed to involve MOG emerging from the bathroom, but I can't now recall if that was a genuine published quote from someone with personal knowledge that makes it trustworthy or if it was an assertion within several layers of hearsay.

For me personally, if MOG was originally supposed to be shown emerging but obviously was not in the final cut, that suggests more strongly an intention to make Tony's immediate fate vague and a matter of subjective vision or interpretation than a more definitive statement that he was killed. In other words, it suggests that Chase felt the additional scene was too compelling towards a particular outcome or interpretation.

But that's just me.:icon_biggrin: Maybe someone else with better recall can chime in on the factual issue of whether such a scene was actually shot or in the original script.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”