Re: David Chase: Latest Comments AFTER the Finale

I read that the scene was indicative of a scene from GF2 (I think, I'm not really that up on my GF knowledge!) where Michael is looking out over a lake planning revenge.

When Janice says 'I've seen that look before' it was mentioned that she was talking about Tony taking revenge on Bobby.

I say this was a red herring as Tony never really takes revenge on Bobby. He doesn't kill him, beat him up or demote him, he merely gets him to kill someone, which, in fairness, is part of his job.

I'll try and find the quote that likened it to GF.

I could be way off though, as I say, my GF knowledge stems pretty much to 'I've seen the films', but thats about it!

Just thought, maybe red herring doesn't translate from proper English to American!

A red herring is when something leads you to believe something, that turns out to be intentionally false.

so in this instance, it is a red herring, if what I read into it is correct, as Chase wants us, at that point, to think Tony will kill Bobby, but obviously he doesn't.

Another red herring would be Tony eating the orange, if he survives that is!

The "I've seen that look before" is in reference to their mother, Livia. As in, that's what she used to do and now look, here is Tony doing it. And in the final episode, she herself is doing it. Taking revenge doesn't mean "kill him" directly, but rather, how to "pay him back" for the beat down ad in the end, he decided to tax Bobby, making him carry out his first hit.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

I see your point, but the whole house by the lake thing really made me think of the Godfather, and I took Janices comments to be in reference to that. The lone don, contemplating his options, sort of thing. There is a scene with Michael staring out over the lake, I think it's before he orders the hit on the rest of the families, butu I really can't remember!

As for Bobby, I think the tax imposed on him was quite low. Yes, it was in retaliation to the conversation about him never having popped his cherry, but in reality, a don asking a made guy to kill someone isn't that severe a punishment (except for the victim, ofcourse!).

It is a little like asking someone who works in Mcdonalds to make a burger.

It was a pretty big deal for Bobby - I don't think that's really questionable. It was Tony deliberately hitting Bobby at his weakest point - that he'd never killed a man, and seemingly had no desire to. Thus, Tony makes him in retaliation for the perceived cheap shot. The very type of thing Livia might do. It seems to me this plays more into the parents passing things on to their children theme than anything The Godfather might inform the show.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Very true. It was obviously a punishment for Bobby, based on previous conversations between the two.

It was perhaps a little naive of Bobby to expect to go through a career in LCN, reaching very high levels, and never have to kill anyone though.

You're right, it does seem like the sort of manipulative, power/position reaffirming thing Livia would do.

It obviously reminded Bobby who was in charge.

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”