Re: Final Ep: Scene-by-Scene Analysis

Haven't forgotten 'bout this. We are just wrapping up the scene of AJ's tirade at the dinner table at Bobby's wake. i still need to re-hear the Vivaldi- i wanted to determine which of the four season's is playing in the background for sure.

i realize i am really slow at this, and perhaps unfortunately, i am perfectly content to be so! i could spend hours mulling over and discussing every scene's detail.

btw, i wonder how long it took the writer's to finalize a scene? i once took a class on Shakespeare and we spent weeks on just one scene of Hamlet. i was in heaven!

So if anyone is too bored, but still interested enough and wants to move this along to the next scene, please do....! :smile:

Has anybody else noticed the similarities between the "Made in America" and "Members Only" episodes? In 6a.1 after Eugene shoots Teddy the song "Dreaming" by Blondie is playing and the first song we hear in 6b.9 is"Denis" which was also a huge hit for Blondie,admittedly here it's by the original artist,the Delmonts maybe,but still.But more crucially in both episodes Carmella asks the family where they will have dinner that evening.These are the only two occasions in the entire show when this happens.It is usually at home or in Vesuvio's. As we know in 6b.9 they decide on Holsten's.The two episodes are like mirror images of each other.In 6a.1 a man wearing a "Members Only " jacket (Eugene) walks into a diner and shoots a guy. In 6b.9 a man wearing a Members Only jacket walks into a restaurant and......In 6a.1 the "Seven souls" monologue should be looked at very closely.There is a chilling shot of Bobby playing with his train-set eerily foreshadowing the circumstances of his death.We see Meadow described as the "guardian angel" but of course she is delayed getting into Holsten's trying to parallel park her car.We see Ray Curto described as "treachery" and we know what happens him. There are other instances of events being foreshadowed in this episode,so much so that I refer to it as an "oracle" episode.Oh,and Tony gets shot in it!

Great post dsweeny!

I totally agree with the notion that Members Only and Made in America are meant to be a sort of Twilight Zone parallell story and also reveals the deaths of several people as you pointed out. This is not a coincidence nor is it an accident. Not to mention that the credits in the last episode mention Man in Members Only Jacket. Why?
You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.

i agree great post dsweeney-however- if you read the first posts here, you'll see that this thread was created specifically for a scene-by-scene analysis of just the scenes of the last episode in order to come to some understanding via that method- applying a detailed analysis of each scene's details, in the order of how it was presented to us viewers, by comparing the details of actual dialogue, staging, music etc. Here, we are not so much jumping ahead to a conclusion about the show in general. Your post theoretically should be connected to the next scene in the thread, such as AJ's tirade at Vesuvios, or the following scene; or even connected to a previously discussed scene, such as you did with the song 'Denise'. So in that spirit, i would like to hear more analysis of what you think of in terms of the Blondie connection as an oracle to understanding the final ep 'Denise' scene (Paulie and Tony listening to it in the van, etc.). Can you or someone shed more light on how the related previous oracle episode(s) prophesies something or lends some sort of understanding to this particular final ep scene?

And just to be more clear so you won't think i don't appreciate your posts- i love them! :icon_biggrin:

Some history: at the time we created this thread, every one kept posting and arguing about their position on the ending in every single thread a conversation got started in. Every thread became a fight about someone's opinion or proof on "the ending". i don't intend for that to recur here. There are hundreds of places to post about that! If you read the posts here, you'll see that the nature of your post has mostly nothing to do with this thread- it doesn't even address the current scene. However, there are a number of threads that specifically dealt with your exact topic- which i think is fantastic. Someone else last year was going thru epis and noticed similar prophetic parallels pointing towards the final ep, just as you are doing now. But unfortunately they stopped posting lately, so i am so glad you are on it!

Once again i suggest checking out the threads for the final season, such as "Full Circle", "Finding Some Meaning in the Ending", etc. Actually- i suggested at the time that someone create a separate thread for these important points you are picking up on. Maybe you could call it "Oracle Episodes" or something to that affect. Please do start that thread, as it sounds like you have just the perfect approach to catching those connections and are so observant watching the episodes and seeing the big picture.

Meanwhile, if you want to pick up on where we are in the scene-by scene analysis and apply your skills at finding an oracle thread that points to any of the scenes that have been analyzed up to this point so far- that would be incredibly germain and exactly in the spirit of this thread! i would love to hear more about oracle scenes. :smile:

Thank you so much for your encouragement bada,much appreciated and I promise I will try and take your advice on board.If I appear to people like some sort of hit-and-run terrorist causing "mayham" it's because I don't actually own a PC myself and have only limited access to one here in work and only recently found your wonderful site.
I take your point fully about keeping to the individual threads but seeing as I regard this as a personal response to you could I point out some other "fore-shadowings"in my"oracle episode" you might like?
There is a scene in said 6a.1 of Tony,alone,eating in their new favourite sea-food restaurant.He suddenly has a bout of indigestion and lightly pats himself on his stomach-exactly,EXACTLY where he is later shot by Junior.It corresponds precisely with the hole the size of a fist we graphically see when Janice visits him in the hospital.At Ray Curto's funeral,Rusty says "stand up guys like that ARE A DYING BREED".Within maybe two episodes he proves how right he is-he gets it himself,right outside his house.Most pointed of all though, I feel,is the way Tony and AJ repeat each other almost word for word.Tony exclaims "why can't I catch a break" and immediately it cuts to Ray having a heart-attack giving information on him to the Feds.In 6b.9 AJ is moaning about how his medication appears to work for others but not him-"why can't I catch a break".He then narrowly escapes death in his exploding SUV.
Again Bada,Silviomancini,if my unorthodox (ham-fisted) approach irritates people,apologies.As a newbie,I'll try to stick to format,promise.

Hello everybody.
When Janice visits Uncle Junior in the hospital June says something to her in italian.She doesn't understand it and when she asks the other Uncle from the farm he says he cant speak italian either.
I was wondering if theres maybe somebody here who speaks italian and has the DVDs or avis and could translate what junior says to janice in the hospital, maybe it's something that shows that he is not that dement at all.

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”