Re: The Therapy Scene With Vogal

Splishak wrote:I cannot find any positive feelings for Vogel. He does not seem to have any genuine concern or affection for AJ. And I don't think his apparent lack of concern is based on any professional considerations.
I'm not familiar with this field, but aren't psychiatrists supposed to keep their personal feelings out of their professional suggestions? It seems like we've gotten spoiled by Melfi and her good heart, and now Vogel seems more detached and uncaring to the general viewer. Which of these two models most resembles your common psychiatrist?

I took it that the tooth discovery derailed Tony's focus on a non-functioning therapy session. I also took the scene to be a contrast to Tony's loaded sessions with Melfi as opposed to the fairly shallow session AJ was having. Maybe there will be more to it.

I would bet Tony would have a dream where he does Mary Ann and Ginger at the same time. Maybe Mrs Howell too.

HagensBing1977 wrote:I'm not familiar with this field, but aren't psychiatrists supposed to keep their personal feelings out of their professional suggestions? It seems like we've gotten spoiled by Melfi and her good heart, and now Vogel seems more detached and uncaring to the general viewer. Which of these two models most resembles your common psychiatrist?

I'm really not sure what most psychiatrists are like. But I know that if I ever went to see one and I was paying the bill, I would never choose one who acted as if he didn't give a shit about my problems. I'd want someone who seemed like they had an interest in me and a "rooting interest" would be even better.

If I was AJ, I'd be begging my parents to let me choose a new shrink. At the very least, I'd want them to choose a new one.

The scene reminded me of the scene during which the "The Hairdoo" was shot, and for a moment we had the slow motion shot of Silvio's reaction.

I think Tony lost focus once he saw the tooth and didn't mentally return until Carmela was talking about the poem. That could have been a significant amount of time.

Return to “Episode 6.19: The Second Coming”