How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode 6.19: The Second Coming - Grades and General Rev

There is a big discussion of this somewhere.

Take a look at the thread titled "Significance of Yeats Poem" for more info.

The discussion of the title may be in this thread a few pages back.

See rugbyjake's post #42 back on approx the 2nd page of this thread. Page number is not good since diff people can have diff page sizes. But post #42 means the 42nd post in this thread and that is a very good way to find a post. I believe this discussion started there.

And check out JerseyGirl's post #49 where she quotes dad1153 who talks about some Walden poem as the source of the title of this episode. And Porkstore's post #50 where he says the poem is by Yeats and not Walden.

I know almost nothing about English or Early American poetry. The only poet I remember is William Blake who wrote "Tiger tiger burning bright." He was the first poet we studied in our English class in Engineering school. Can you imagine forcing first year engineers to take an English class so they wouldn't turn out to be total boors? Well, it didn't work.

mutualdream wrote:I couldn't help but thinking while watching this episode the scene in the Thanksgiving episode of season 3 (I've got to get better with remembering episode titles) when Tony tells Meadow: "If anything ever happened to you..."

You can always see a list of all the episodes and their titles here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Th ... s_episodes

You can also go to the HBO site to find full descriptions of each episode.

Thanks, Splishak. I did read through this thread from the beginning and there were some references to the Yeats poem, but I didn't find anything on the connection between the term Second Coming and the idea of final judgment and justice. So far I've read down the thread list as far as the Gatsby thread and haven't found any other discussion, but I'll keep looking.
Posted by Splishak:
Can you imagine forcing first year engineers to take an English class so they wouldn't turn out to be total boors? Well, it didn't work.
I'm trying to empathize by imagining a world where Lit majors would be required to take at least one engineering class so they would have some practical grounding in the mechanics of physical reality. Thank God I didn't have to deal with that -- it probably wouldn't have worked for me either. :)

Al Sikeli wrote:I thought it was Phil's voice, but it sounded weird. They did mix it in the soundtrack very dry or off kilter.

I thought Melfi's reaction to Tony's peyote comments were revealing of her mindset. He was clearly speaking in terms of spiritual revelation yet her question was focused on a sci-fi concept. He thought she was being sarcastic, but it was telling that she has no spiritual mindset to understand what he was saying.

Carmela was he self-denial self as usual. When AJ is wheeled away she wonders what has happened to their "sunny"/sonny boy who used to be happy. He has never been happy. Tony called him an idiot to Melfi, which though angry is more to the truth. The sun imagery has been playing a lot as well.

Tony saving AJ, and emotionally comforting him is the strongest non-selfish element of Tony yet. I think that is what will come into the fore in the next two episodes. It may be that he will be the "bus driver" and get his family out of Dodge, even if his route means he goes down with their thing. No one gets out of the cosa nostra. But he see how it infects them.
I heared this the same way you did when I watched it last Sunday.

"When AJ is wheeled away she wonders what has happened to their "sunny"/sonny boy who used to be happy."

I just watched this again on On Demand and Carmela says that AJ was her "happy, happy" boy.

I wonder why they changed it?

I know Edie Falco said they filmed three endings. Maybe they also filmed three versions of all of the last episodes.

RefLib wrote:I heared this the same way you did when I watched it last Sunday.

"When AJ is wheeled away she wonders what has happened to their "sunny"/sonny boy who used to be happy."

I just watched this again on On Demand and Carmela says that AJ was her "happy, happy" boy.

I wonder why they changed it?

I know Edie Falco said they filmed three endings. Maybe they also filmed three versions of all of the last episodes.
I recorded the original broadcast, and Carmela says, "He was always so happy. He was our happy little boy."

So it definitely wasn't changed for the On-Demand version.
--wgw

"there's some folks out there that if they don't get it, you can't tell 'em." (louis armstrong)

Caught some of the A&E Marathon, was good to see. It has been a while since I seen some of the older shows. There were one about Pat Parisi unhappy about his twin brother's death. Pissed in Tony's pool, was going to shoot Tony but changed his mind. Tony probably had thought of wacking him too. Now I am brought back in mind to the current situation. How does all this play with Pat and Tony that their kids are dating. I am sure animosity just doesn't go away, it just gets put in check.

Here we go again, a Soprano kills someone who Meadow is dating uncle. At the same time a father or father figure to someone who Meadow is dating, was very angry at Tony

Return to “Episode 6.19: The Second Coming”