Re: Gandolfini Funeral Set for Thursday at St. John the Divi

There was something unspeakably sad about seeing all those familiar faces, all with a little bit more age and a lot more sadness than when I last saw them, outside that church, hugging. One site had a series of three photos shot close together that showed Edie Falco about to embrace a man (whose back was to the camera), and her face became contorted with red-faced grief as they hugged, one of her hands clutching a kleenex around his back.

Aidia Turturo, Steve Schirripa, John Ventimiglia (I may be mangling the spelling on some of these, please forgive) all of them just made me cry. And then to see cast embracing with obviously heavy hearts who never even had scenes together (Lorraine Bracco and Michael Imperioli). You could just feel how much these people feel this man's loss and feel a connection to and investment in the artistic legacy they helped create, which just reinforces how blurred the emotional lines here are between fiction and "reality".
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I've gotta say, I didn't expect to see even this much. I know some would probably say it is exploitive, but, I don't see it that way, as it is helping me personally to process this event, to see these heart wrenching photos. To see the love they have for him.

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote: And then to see cast embracing with obviously heavy hearts who never even had scenes together (Lorraine Bracco and Michael Imperioli).

The photo with Lorraine Bracco and Michael Imperioli spoke to me in that same exact way.

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:There was something unspeakably sad about seeing all those familiar faces, all with a little bit more age and a lot more sadness than when I last saw them, outside that church, hugging. One site had a series of three photos shot close together that showed Edie Falco about to embrace a man (whose back was to the camera), and her face became contorted with red-faced grief as they hugged, one of her hands clutching a kleenex around his back.

Aidia Turturo, Steve Schirripa, John Ventimiglia (I may be mangling the spelling on some of these, please forgive) all of them just made me cry. And then to see cast embracing with obviously heavy hearts who never even had scenes together (Lorraine Bracco and Michael Imperioli). You could just feel how much these people feel this man's loss and feel a connection to and investment in the artistic legacy they helped create, which just reinforces how blurred the emotional lines here are between fiction and "reality".
Fly, I haven't seen those pictures yet but I am sure when I do, I will have tears in my eyes. I don't know how to put it into words but it is like we knew him on a personal level.

Does anyone remember the last scene of the episode Test Dream? When Tony was talking to Carm and he asked her "is it light where you are yet"? and then the song from Lionel Richie starts playing. I saw that a few days ago and was in tears. What a profound impact James had on people.

pitbullluv wrote:Does anyone remember the last scene of the episode Test Dream? When Tony was talking to Carm and he asked her "is it light where you are yet"? and then the song from Lionel Richie starts playing. I saw that a few days ago and was in tears. What a profound impact James had on people.
One of my favorite endings to any episode, and that says a lot since the show had 86 great endings.

As much as I've cried in the last week, as much as I was moved today at seeing the cast assembled there, there is STILL some part of me that hasn't quite accepted or processed this event. I don't know how to explain that.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:One of my favorite endings to any episode, and that says a lot since the show had 86 great endings.

As much as I've cried in the last week, as much as I was moved today at seeing the cast assembled there, there is STILL some part of me that hasn't quite accepted or processed this event. I don't know how to explain that.
Fly, I am feeling the same as you. I can't tell people I feel this way because they would think I need help. I am still in denial and when I watch The Sopranos I feel like James is still alive.

pitbullluv wrote:I can't tell people I feel this way because they would think I need help.

The only person I know in real life that gets it, is my mum. I broke the news to her, and I fell apart all over again. She had just a couple months ago, finished viewing the entire series for the first time. SHE LOVES IT. She is just as shaken as I am about this. I've been talking her ear off for years about this show. References, little hilarious things, etc…still while not giving anything away. [This show is so rich, it is possible to do that.] It is very special to me that I was able to share this incredible show with her.

James will live on, for sure. He left us with so many gifts. So many gems.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Gandolfini.

:*(

scrappie wrote:The only person I know in real life that gets it, is my mum. I broke the news to her, and I fell apart all over again. She had just a couple months ago, finished viewing the entire series for the first time. SHE LOVES IT. She is just as shaken as I am about this. I've been talking her ear off for years about this show. References, little hilarious things, etc…still while not giving anything away. [This show is so rich, it is possible to do that.] It is very special to me that I was able to share this incredible show with her.

James will live on, for sure. He left us with so many gifts. So many gems.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Gandolfini.

:*(
I find comfort knowing that someone can relate to what I am feeling. I wish I had someone I could watch the show with that understood. My husband enjoys the show but not on the same level as I do.

Damn, damn, damn. Like Billy Joel's song "Only the good die young".

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Alan Sepinwall's account of the funeral, including the complete transcript of Chase's eulogy:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... and-family
How very poignant. So touching. David Chase was going to have Tony Soprano lost in Meadowlands? That is interesting to say the least. I would have loved to see that. The last part of the eulogy had me in tears.

I can't help but think back to the episode "Join the Club". The final scene (another great one) had Tony reaching for the phone but he wasn't ready yet. There are so many scenes that can be used as analogies for James.

Return to “James Gandolfini Remembered”