Gandolfini Funeral Set for Thursday at St. John the Divine

I saw reports of this early today and with HBO confirming to the Star Ledger, it seems safe to post. Funeral is scheduled for Thursday, June 27th at 10 AM EST at the (non denominational) Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Manhattan. Although early reports today indicated his body would be flown back Monday, this latest report tonight indicates it was already flown back today (Sunday).

I had the privilege of visiting St. John the Divine in 2000, and it's a very large and beautiful cathedral with a MASSIVE organ. I read somewhere that the funeral would be "public," which I take to mean that a good portion of its seating will be open to whoever would like to attend and gets there first, a perfect way to honor a man who did not believe in the class distinctions accompanying the fraternity of celebrity. I've no doubt that his close colleagues can (and should) have priority seating. But I think it's great if members of the general public who were deeply moved by his work can also attend to pay their respects without having to "know" someone. Perhaps there will even be cameras inside to allow for television or web broadcast. I hope so.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Re: Gandolfini Funeral Set for Thursday at St. John the Divi

If it is an open funeral, that is just.. wow. Beautiful. God, so many people loved him. I hope his family knows that his fans, us, are aware that we can't know the world of pain and despair they must be feeling. But that it says something about James Gandolfini; that people who didn't know him now have a missing piece in their life too.
Wow.

If there are cameras inside, get the stacks of tissues ready.

Unfortunately, I read late last night that no cameras or recording devices would be allowed inside at the request of the family. Scrappies link has photos and reports from media outside the church who are monitoring notable arrivals. Chase is among those slated to speak and, according to the site I read, is the only Sopranos person on the program. Susan Aston, his dialog coach who worked with him throughout his tenure on the show, will also speak.

Lots of cast has been photographed or reported as there, many of them said to be crying outside before they even went in.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

[OOps, Apologies, I wrote this before I saw Fly's reply.]
CHITOWNSAM wrote:i was wondering if any of the tv channels will broadcast it and will the Soprano's cast members be there?
I cannot find anything on TV but I honestly don't know where to look. I am bouncing around all the news channels I can think of just in case there is anything.

Much of the cast is in attendance I believe it to be much anyway.
There are some pictures in the link I posted above where you can make out different cast members. Very sad but very beautiful to see some of the cast that are there .

Return to “James Gandolfini Remembered”