"The Revolution Was Televised" by Alan Sepinwall

TV critic Alan Sepinwall's excellent new book, "The Revolution Was Televised" is an in-depth discussion of the transformative last 15 years of the TV drama. Obvioulsly, The Sopranos is well documented in the book as being one of the major influences of this period, regarded by many as "The Golden Age" of television.

Sepinwall is probably my favorite writer regarding The Sopranos, and he really does the legacy of the show justice here, portraying the show as a sprawling work of art under the singular vision of a true auteur, and dismissing some critical opinion that recent shows have surpassed it.

There's also some really interesting exclusive interviews with David Chase regarding the finale, as well as a patricularly interesting story about the Russian in "The Pine Barrens" that I've never heard before.

Other chapters include The Wire, Deadwood, 24, Mad Men, Lost, and Breaking Bad. Perhaps it's a good stocking stuffer idea for that Sopranos fan in your life (or yourself!) this holiday season.

Re: "The Revolution Was Televised" by Alan Sepinwall

Thanks for the brief review, AJ. The only shows I've really committed to in the last decade plus were the Sopranos, of course, and In Treatment. But between the two of them, and even the one Season of The Wire that I watched a lot of, television is vindicated, for me, as the medium of choice for complex, nuanced, character-driven drama. It's no coincidence that my movie-going and DVD renting dropped off substantially in the years after I got so involved with the Sopranos. So it's nice to see the vanguard of great television getting their due. I hope it continues to draw top flight talent, especially behind the camera.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Sopranos in the News”